Welcome Aboard!
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Comment

Core PM

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way. You need to open the right side plate and lube the drag washers. While you are in there put a couple drop of oil at the base of the drive shaft and under the platic levelwind gear (drives the worm gear). Also, lube the pinion bearing from the inside, and put a bit of lube wear the cluth spring goes into the frame, and the end of the sipe pate shaft. Before you put it back together lube the teeth on the drive gear (otherwise, the aluminum teeth will have issues over time). Put a drop of iol into each scew hole and put it back together. Put 3-4 drops of oil into the clutch bearing (no grease). Put a dab of grease on the e-clip that holds the worm gear in place. Put a drop of oil on the sideplate release mechanism and also a drop on the thumbar support rod (where it goes into the frame). Put a couple drops of oil on the levelwind, and a drop on the threads of the spool retainer. Add a couple drops of oil to the base of the paddles on the handle. Lube the bearings with your favorite bearing oil and you should be good to go.

I have no experience with Reel Magic, sorry. I use Rocket fuel for bearings that turn while casting and red Corrosion-X for any other bearings and "oil type applications. I use green Corrosion-X for grease type use (gear teeth, end of worm gear). I have my own special drag grease, but Shimano drag grease in good stuff.

I usually use a light mist on my reels then wipe them off with a lightly oiled rag.

I am sure I have missed something, so feel free to ask any specific questions.

Mike

Originally posted by Nwilkins View Post
          Welcome to FWE,

I have two core reels, what preventive maintenance should I do? How often should you break them down? Is there a problem washing them down after being on the water? What are you views on reelmagic? spray and lube?

Thanks in advance, Neil

Comment

Welcome! Thanks for the reel advice! --- cool name too...
            Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Welcome !!
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

welcome neighbor

glad u made it here

Mike knows more about reels than the manufacturers, so ask away
                Capt. Thomas Barlow
                281-827-6815
                www.notoriousguideservice.com

Comment

Welcome aboard Mike!! I think that you should have said, I know a lot about fishing reels, line, lures, leader, rods, and maybe you should include big trout.....

If any of you are wondering, this is your go to guy for reel questions and repairs.

Great to see you on the site and I'm looking forward to many more fishing days, and maybe a few more tournaments if we can make the schedules work. Thanks for the kid fish last weekend!! They loved it even if it was cold, and tell Josh, that I think he's a heck of a boat captain at 9. That kid will probably know more about running the bay than me by the time he's 15.
                  http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

He's just being humble. He knows quite a bit about reels........and lizards too.

Welcome to FWE Mike. Did you check out the pics of my boat stripped down?
                    Scott
                    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Working...
                    X