Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - some help please

Hello,

I am new to wade fishing. I have fished the jetties and piers a few times but getting tired of it. Want to try wade and kayak fishing going forward, so that even if I do not catch anything, I will feel like I have done something and it just looks like it is more fun! I am looking to go out to the Christmas bay this weekend and try wading. Got myself a Hook-N-Line fishing map and studying it. I have found that it is difficult to find information online regarding wade fishing gear. I do not want to get stung by a Sting-ray or worse yet, drown in a hole, just due to the lack of proper gear. So I would like your help on the following please;

1.) What is a good place to buy some wade fishing gear in Houston?
    2.) What would be the first three things you would want me to buy, that is specific to wade fishing?
    3.) Could anyone suggest a good starting spot for a newbie in the west bay, for this weekend?
    4.) Would anyone be kind enough to let me tag along on their next wading trip?

Thanks for your help, glad I ran into this group.
    Red-Wader

Newbie - some help please

1. Shop around for wade gear. You probably won't find everything you'll like in one place. Check out Baad Marine, Hook Set, Grind Tackle, FTU, Hookspit, and Academy. Once you know what you're looking for, shop online as well.
    2. A good wading belt, wading box and boots/shoes. I think Hookset makes the best belt on the market, but there are plenty of others to choose from that you might like better. Grind makes great wading boxes but you can also make your own for a lot less. I have friends that buy inexpensive shoes and boots and have great luck with them but I like good quality footwear. Simms are top of the line (but out of my price range). Find something comfortable that fits well; you'll be standing in them for hours.
    3. My first wading spot was Dana Cove at Galveston Island State Park. Easy wading and a lot of different areas to learn. Pull it up on google maps and give it a look. Shuffle your feet and watch out for rays.
    Don't forget about the beach. Wading the surf can be quite rewarding depending on the conditions.
    4. I'd be happy to take you on my next wade, but that may be a while with my current schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our other members invited you along.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; August 3, 2015, 07:19 PM.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Welcome aboard!!!!! Great info Bruce. You are welcome to join us. If all goes well with my mom we will be going Friday.
      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Welcome aboard! Can't help on the wade fishing.., I never get out of a perfectly good boat[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

don't ever wade in shorts, jellyfish and manowars will eventually get ya if you do. Like Curmudgeon said DRAG YOUR FEET if you step on a sting ray he will put his tail through your calf muscle. I never bought any shoes for wading, I always keep my last pair of work boots when I get a new pair every year. As far as gear goes, get a stronger that's at least 20 foot in case a shark wants your catch, he can eat it way over there and you can get out of water. I never bought a wading belt but always wanted one.
          Green grass and high tides forever
          Mike Mathena

Comment

If you are just getting started keep it simple. Get you some good boots. I wear the Foreverlast boots you can buy at Academy and they work fine for me. If you are worried about rays, buy the boots with the integrated rayguards. Wear long pants (not jeans). If you want to keep fish, buy a stringer.

Other than that, put some 1/8" jig heads and soft plastics in one pocket and walk in. If you want a place to start, park at the old Ernie's bait camp on the south shore of Christmas Bay and walk east toward Churchill Bayou. Big grass flat with a small channel adjacent running east-west.

Once you do it a couple of times, you can figure out what other gear you need if any. Try to avoid looking like an ambulatory tackle store. Too damn complicated.

JYC
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

All great suggestions above...you may want to add pliers to the list. Nothing worse than trying get a deep hookset out without em. If you're not comfortable landing fish from the water, you may also consider a net. They make floating ones just for wade fishing.

I just picked up wade fishing this spring and there's nothing better. One of the guides I booked told me "if you want to catch big fish...get out of the boat." He was right.

Comment

Lmao. Keep it simple. Get you a pair of wading pants. Maybe 10 bucks at acrapedy err academy. You can wade in an old pair of tennis shoes. You won't need waders until water temps. drop. Never spend a lot of money until you're completely committed to the sport of angling. I suggest grab you a 1/2 oz. silver Johnson sprite spoon and hit skyline drive off the Texas City dike. Rig the spoon with a split ring and small barrell sweivel out the nose of the spoon. The spot I'm telling you about is hard sand and easy walking and lots of water to cover and is a better than average good summertime spot. Cast the spoon keeping the rod tip parallel with the water surface and slowly retrieve the spoon back to you. Cover as much water as you can in and out as you can walk 3 to 400 yards in any direction. Always remember to drag your feet and never walk backwards. There's lots more to it but this info will give you a taste. Good luck!

Comment

I actually prefer to wade fish in a pair of old jeans or khakis. Just my humble opinion, but I do like the added thickness in case a fish decides to stick you with the treble hooks on a super spook.
                  TDFT Certified Weighmaster

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great info and help. I will look to get a pair of boots and a couple of other things before I head out. I will update y'all after my trip. Please send me a PM if anyone is willing to let me tag along, this Saturday or Sunday. Thanks again for your time.

Comment

all good advise, just get out there. you don't need all the bells and whistles to catch fish. good pair o wading shoes, stringer and pliers.
                      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
                        all good advise, just get out there. you don't need all the bells and whistles to catch fish. good pair o wading shoes, stringer and pliers.
                        Don't forget the lil' john's. Hit a little lick the other day, bro. Let's go to Lake Charlie and play some cards?

Comment

I always have gulp on a jighead under a cork for any new waders I take fishing...especially if your wading over grass...redfish love em and they catch trout and flounder too. FlyPelican is right on the pliers. I like the gerber multi tool, you can open with one hand, put it on a lanyard around your neck or it will end up in the bay. It's tough getting hooks out of a trout's mouth, redfish are usually pretty easy unless the swallow it, and any size flatty will try to bite your finger off!

Comment

great advice, thread made me think, what do we really need to fish. Topwater, jig heads, plastics and a spoon is really it. For 2 years I have chunked the same baits/colors. Throw in a corky as well. Seems one regular size Zip Lock will hold what we need for a day on the water.

Open up the front hatch on my skiff.....way to much crap I never use and have accumulated over the years.

H.MAIR, lil Johns's are sweet, purple and chicken on the chain is all you need.

Comment

Mirrolure's come out with a few new color combinations. I've had good success with the slammin chicken bass assassin's this season and found that color combo in the lil john at Buckies the other day. If I can get out of bed before 9:00 a.m. the next morning or two, I'm gonna give them a shot. I like the purple one's also.

Comment

Working...
                              X