Carancahua reef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carancahua reef

How we doing guys first time posting on here and I've got too many questions about west bay so I'll limit it to one. The boat I use was moved to pirate cove and I've been slowly learning west bay and how shallow it gets in there. My question is can I run from lake como west to caranchua reef and anchor on the east side of the reef and fish? I will be running a 20 foot boston whaler that drafts somewhat deep compared to most of the bay boats I see running the bay. Thanks in advance and I'm open to any advice y'all have on the basics of starting west bay. Tight lines

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you know where the reef is...watch out for the rock work around Galveston State Park.

Advice: Download Google Earth and use the timeline feature.

-FP

Comment

I run a 19ft outrage all over west bay. Some days you can run over the reef other days it's above or barely under water. You can float that boat in a foot, a little less for mine. Once you learn the bay you can get most places, there are some where you don't want to come off plane until you are ready to float because you can't get back up till you find deeper water. Run it till it hits ground, then get out and find em....is the strategy I use most of the time.

Comment

Welcome to the board.
        Scott
        "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Welcome aboard!
          The hardest part for me is getting out of Lake Como on a low tide.
          If you get out past the square concrete blocks in the bay in front of Pirates Beach you should have no problem running west to carancahua reef. On a real low tide there is a flat in front of Dana that can get a little shallow.

Comment

Working...
          X