Old angler, new area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old angler, new area

Hey everybody. So I moved down here to the island in the fall for school. I have fished off the piers a couple of times, then Bobby my friend, got me interested in trying wade fishing in the bay. So I have been searching for tips online before I start and I found this club. I think this is awesome and I am happy to be a member. I have already learned a lot reading your forums. Only one question.... How do you avoid sting rays and how do you get them off your hook when they latch on to your bate? And any other tips about wade fishing would be appreciated.

Marsh

Welcome!!!
    Getting them off is not difficult at all,all you do is flip them over on there back then put a wet towel over them while you get the hook out avoiding them is big tricky you can shuffle your feet and that always works but I highly suggest on getting some wade boots they generally run around 35 bucks and that way better than all the pain you'd experience from the sting.

- GM

Comment

Wade boots with stingray guards attached or wade boots and buy separate stingray guards that clip to the boots . Reef boots have sturdy soles for stomping on shell but the rest of the boot won't stop a stingray barb . The stingray guards fit around the ankle and calve to ward off attacks . The most sensible wading accessory.
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

.... and , WELCOME!
        GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Thanks for the info. and my chicken leg skinny ankles thank you too.!

Comment

Thanks for the info rippinlips. I am looking at a pair of wade boots at academy now. Plus some longer handled needle nose plyers.

Comment

Welcome. Definitely get the boots and Ray guards. Better to be protected than not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am new to the forum also and interested in wade fly fishing in Galveston. I will share my my information with you as I gather it if you are interested. Sam Anderson

Comment

Welcome aboard Marshman!
                  Long pliers are always handy. If I catch a very large ray I usually just cut the line close to it's mouth and get a new lure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                  X