Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just joined

Hello,
    I live in Houston, I’m 76 years old and have been out of the game ( saltwater fishing ) now for a few years..
    I’m thinking I might get back into it again though, so I joined what appears at first read to be a good group of people who like to fish...

I’ve owned many boats, and fished the entire gulf coast for 40 or so years, but sold my last Whaler in 2012, so in Texas, they call that, being afoot. I’m going to revert to my childhood, as old folks sometimes do, and become a wader... I primarily fished west bay, and was very familiar with the where and when of it from a boat, but now I’m going to walk in fish and wade and that’s not going to be easy due to the limited access I saw on a recent scouting trip... Closures of the dike, the beach, San Luis pass, Rooster Collins flats, and Campbell’s, to name a few, have me wondering where to go...

I fished Skyline Dr. many years ago, and I guess when this north wind eases off and turns back to the southeast, I’ll go there on my first trip in 8 years...

Anyway, glad to be back thinking about fishing again, and hope to be able to meet some of you in the future...

welcome

Comment

Welcome!!
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Welcome to our site!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Welcome !
          Its about time for Skyline drive to be a good springtime prospect . Good luck and report your results .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Skyline Dr. report,
            Got in the water twice...
            perfect conditions... trout green water wind out of the SE below 15 knots and a good bait pushing tide...
            fished it hard both days with 51mr chartreuse w/ gold flash mirrorlure. My go to bait in trout green water... nothing...
            I had a really good spot there for many many years. Always caught nice size trout there this time of year under those exact same conditions... The fish weren’t there... The reef is gone, it has just vanished! It’s not there anymore and there was hardly any bait showing... I know that the spot was shut down for oystering for probably 50 years and I had great times there for more than 30 years, but there isnt a scrap of shell where there used to be miles of it! I remember they opened it up to oystering about 10 or 12 years ago, and I guess they don’t oyster like they used to, by dumping the shell back so more reefs can form.

Anyway, it’s a bust out to about 150 yds off Skyline, there is no shell to be found and I’m crossing it off my list and moving to Roosters when they open the pass..

a bad day fishing, is still better than a good day at the office...
            Last edited by Talljeff; April 19, 2020, 06:16 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

Sorry you didn’t catch any fish there . We’ve had some bad storms also to cover or kill oysters reefs .
              The SLP flats change too every so many years . 10 years ago there use to be a gut with pvc pipes at each end that was consistent for trout on a moving tide . One spring when I showed up , the currents had changed the whole area and I haven’t found it to be as good as before . But, I don’t fish as much as I use to . Maybe a thorough search will reveal new opportunities .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

The pass is such a great area for trout. The guts you are talking about have been in roughly the same spots for umpteen years. As far back as I can remember there was a nice gut not far off the shore at roosters and it was neck deep at high tide so if you waded out about a mile to the second gut ( marked by pvc ) and fished the incoming, well you were gonna get your waders full of saltwater coming in... But the trout usually were there and could be caught on most any artificial...

I see where they caught a few trout near mosquito island this morning and the water temp has crossed over to the magic # so it should start turning on soon... but it’s such a potlicker spot with people crowding in there on the weekends right on top of each other and enough boats there also to have a boat show!

I’m not sure where to post fishing info, I’m pretty sure it’s not here in the new member section, but until I learn my way around west end anglers, I’ll just put my reports here.

Wind permitting I’m going back to Skyline Dr. and trying the Dollar reef area.. Fri, Sat, or Sun. Whichever looks best wind wise, and at the optimum incoming tide, which is early morning on all 3 of those days...

Comment

You're welcome to start a new thread at anytime and one of the moderators will throw it into the correct forum if needed. The more new topic threads the better.
                  We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Welcome Talljeff. Love to hear your "back in the day" stories and prospective. Keep it coming and good luck with your fishing this weekend.

Comment

Great reports! Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                      X