Advice for a new boat owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a new boat owner

After wading, kayaking and going with friends I finally bought a boat. So the question is this...where should I start fishing? I don't want to invade anybody's fishin' hole and intend to learn the area through trial and error but it would great to get a little advice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Start in a area you know and then go from there.
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

mouths of bayous drains ditches and reefs and other structure is a good place to start learning
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

What kind of boat did you get? Which bay system? The fish are eveywhere,you just have to find what they want for that area.
        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
          What kind of boat did you get? Which bay system? The fish are eveywhere,you just have to find what they want for that area.
          21' center console. Want to learn about west bay. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Rarick View Post
            21' center console. Want to learn about west bay. Thanks
            If you want to learn a bay system best approach is to hook up with a guide, Captain Greg Francis aka "Aqua Pimp" here on the website has taken many new residents / anglers around West Bay and introduced them to areas and key targets that we see here in the bay. It is well worth looking into hiring a guide to teach you the area. West Bay is tough to navigate for any inexperienced boater we have many shell reefs and sand bars around the pass are very treacherous.
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
              Dawg's right! What kind of boat you have determines where you can go. The fish are all around.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

be carefull
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                  If you want to learn a bay system best approach is to hook up with a guide, Captain Greg Francis aka "Aqua Pimp" here on the website has taken many new residents / anglers around West Bay and introduced them to areas and key targets that we see here in the bay. It is well worth looking into hiring a guide to teach you the area. West Bay is tough to navigate for any inexperienced boater we have many shell reefs and sand bars around the pass are very treacherous.
                  Agree 100% on a guide or take someone/go with someone who knows the bay. That's how I learned it and STILL learning it years later. Also, when you have time, fill the tank with gas and explore. I cannot count the hours I have spent simply running shorelines, making mental note of water depth, etc. If you enjoy the water this is the best way to see, learn, and have fun. You do have to be careful and I would again repeat the statement of going with someone ESPECIALLY the pass area and where you can safely cut from bay to ship channel, etc. Get out there and have some one learning your boat and the bay!
                  sigpic

Comment

X2 on the guide. get Aqua pimp to show you around-that $ you pay may just save you 3 times that in damages!! Have him run your boat.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post

X2... Make sure you have your GPS installed first. The guide can plot routes for you. It will be money well spent. Good luck.

Comment

I like two of the suggestions above.... Booking with the Pimp will save you tons of time in learning and potentially dollars in repairs to prop or hull. The second of spending time just looking around and making notes, but I think you should change that to write some notes down. We all forget things when there are that many distractions. Notes about bottom structure or composition, presence of bait or fish ect. written down help you develop seasonal patterns that will improve your fishing every year.

I would also add these to the list.... Go slow in areas that you aren't familiar!! Install a high quality GPS with the best maping technology you can afford!! You will see many things marked, that you can explore, depth soundings are very helpful and many smalll navigable channels will help teach you where to run the boat. Split your time between fishing/catching and learning new areas, that is part of the fun of having a boat.

You don't have to be in a hurry to get anywhere, you probably aren't fishing a tournament. Way to many people make the mistake of drving from spot to spot, when you will learn and eventually catch far more fish for slowing down and understanding what is in the water and why certain areas hold fish seasonally, then finding other similar areas and figuring out if they do as well.

Last thought on booking a guide, make sure that you tell him why you are booking with some idea of the style of fishing that you like to do. Don't book a guide who fishes bait if you want to fish with artificials, or one who drifts if you want to wade. You need to develop a level of understanding and learning that suits your style. Greg, aka Aqua Pimp is top notch and one of only a handful of guides who fish West Bay extensively through out the year.

BTW. What 21 center console did you choose? Hull style, tunnel or not, and jack plate will make a significant impact on where and how you run a boat in West Bay.

Enjoy the boat and learing time!!
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

X3 on Steve's post (Shallowist).
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

All great info but another point nobody has metioned is how important it is you go out on a low tide like the ones during the weekend or Monday.It will give you a new found respect for running the water as well as many fishin spots.
                            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Thanks to all for the thoughtful advice. I bought a 21" Champion, not a tunnel hull. It has a jack plate and trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
                              X