Disecting Catch baits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disecting Catch baits

Earlier posts seem to lean toward corkys or fatboys for the winter "go to baits". Funny not heard much on 51's or 52's so far this winter.

On the earlier click or clack posts most people do not seem to use the catch series of baits during the winter whether weighted to sink like a 51 or corky. Lot of our serious tournament type guys seem to think the corky is more reliable to sink rate and depth as compared and seems to suspend better than the 51 though
    I wonder just how the 51 would do without the middle hook.

Too much time on my hands yesterday so I split a C2000 and Catch5.

One had a 55 grain ss ball and the other a 45 grain ss ball.

What is interesting is what they had for rattles:

The catch 2000 has one copper bb inside.

The catch 2000 Jr has 3 glass beads inside.

Catch 5 has only the SS weight Ball and the chamber was extended so the ball can move to give you the clack sound that you hear.

Did an access hole of the Catch 5 and the way the thing is made you cannot add individual bb's like some of the baits. BUT you can take some paper and jam the ball from clacking and add one of the large Academy and sealed with gel epoxy. Rattles make it sound like a 51 or corky type rattle. Will it help? At least my confidence. NO fun throwing a catch 5 wondering if it is getting down or the different rattle is working while your fishing buddy is kicking your butt with a corky of some type. It will make you change quickly.

If you wanted to mess with the rattles in the Catch 2000 or jr an access hole can be drilled in the top ~3/4 from the front on the top and the rattles can be changed out. The bait is open in this area and the rattles are in the open area.

Gel epoxy seems to work well to close the access hole. file/ sand lightly and color if needed.

I just picked up the YO-zuri booklet and realize just how nice their baits look. Diagram with their weights and set up with the extras.

Then I picked up a Mirrodine that the small rattles seem to stick 1/2 the time.....

Guess it is time to do some year end work and quit screwing around.

Have a Happy New Year. JimD

Nice info! I always wondered what the differences were.
    I haven't had the chance to alter any lures as yet, but it sounds interesting.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

cool info
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

I just need to get out and see if it helps me catch some fish this winter besides using a corky of some type.

Comment

Working...
        X