No announcement yet.

when is too cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The legit answer would be where you are comforatable and can still have fun. We fished one of the Specktacular tournaments last year with a high temp that day of 37. Still caught good fish. There are several issues, can you stay comfortable? Can you catch a fish or learn something for being out there.

On a day like today, the air temperatures are in the 20's but the water is no where near that cold yet. Galveston Bay was hovering around 60 degrees yesterday morning. The wind chill today would make it very uncomfortable. Worst of all, if the water temps are in the mid 50's or lower and you get wet, hypothermia sets in pretty quick. Boating this time of the year can be very tricky, we loose at least one boat and crew every winter it seems.

By the way, good chance that I will take a walk around one of my favorite big trout spots today to learn some of the deeper structure. Yes, I'm a little bit off.....
    http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

I am going tomorrow for sure!

Comment

I'm too tropical for this cold crap!

Comment

Lol. We live in the south because we expect it to be warm :P
          Resident Ninja

Comment

lol!!!
            the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

lets go fish in the snow friday!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

These yankees need to take their weather and go back up north.

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                  The legit answer would be where you are comforatable and can still have fun. We fished one of the Specktacular tournaments last year with a high temp that day of 37. Still caught good fish. There are several issues, can you stay comfortable? Can you catch a fish or learn something for being out there.

On a day like today, the air temperatures are in the 20's but the water is no where near that cold yet. Galveston Bay was hovering around 60 degrees yesterday morning. The wind chill today would make it very uncomfortable. Worst of all, if the water temps are in the mid 50's or lower and you get wet, hypothermia sets in pretty quick. Boating this time of the year can be very tricky, we loose at least one boat and crew every winter it seems.

By the way, good chance that I will take a walk around one of my favorite big trout spots today to learn some of the deeper structure. Yes, I'm a little bit off.....
                  Where do you get the bay water temps?
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                    Where do you get the bay water temps?
                    Check the website.... "Important Links" --> http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

when it gets under 80

Comment

Weather Underground changed their home page, once you have locations set up it shows some of the water temps around the state.

I usually look at NOAA you can search their site for a page called tides online, then look for the gulf region...... You can look at the entire gulf around to Florida.
                        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                          Weather Underground changed their home page, once you have locations set up it shows some of the water temps around the state.

I usually look at NOAA you can search their site for a page called tides online, then look for the gulf region...... You can look at the entire gulf around to Florida.
                          Thanks Coe & Steve! I've been using the data from the Galveszton Pleasure Pier. It has some great info!http://tidesonline.nos.noaa.gov/plot...asure+Pier,+TX
                          It has Tides, Wind, Air Pressure, Air & Water Temp. I was trying to find out if it was any different in the bays. I'll try out Wunderground.
                          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                            This is when you go to the camp, get a big old pot of somethin' on the stove, fire up the Coleman heater and play some cards and drink some brew.
                            speaking of the camp, whens the next time your heading down there sandy?

Comment

It must be cold in Angleton saw a lawyer walking down the street with his hands in his own pockets

Comment

Originally posted by TRP150 View Post
                                It must be cold in Angleton saw a lawyer walking down the street with his hands in his own pockets

Lmao!It was cold in Brazosport near that creek in the backyard this morning!
                                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Working...
                                X