Flagship Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flagship Demo

I am sure many of you have heard about the negligence of the demolition company at the Flagship. They have been using a front end loader to knock concrete, glass, and metal into the water. Billy at Gtownsurf is staying on top of the situation and he is looking for videos and pictures of the debris being knocked into the water. We are trying to see some action taken as the demo crew continues to act carelessly. Gtownsurf has numbers to call on the page if anybody is interested. With a demolition of a hotel over water, some stuff is bound to end up in the water but to do it purposefully is unacceptable.
    Live every week like its shark week

Gtownsurf liable to be owned by a guy named Tillman or be down there with all that concrete if he doesnt cool it.

Comment

Somebody needs to call the COE. I'm sure they would send an investigator down.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
        Gtownsurf liable to be owned by a guy named Tillman or be down there with all that concrete if he doesnt cool it.
        or be a anchor for the "Boardwalk"!
        Head of the Spyglass Potlicker Club!

Darryl

Comment

Isn't it a crying shame you have to think about stuff like above

I say go G-Town !!!!
          I don't know enough about Tillman other than he has emassed a fortune and has some dang fine resteraunts, but if this is truely happening I sure hope to God he has a plan to clean the mess. It's the right thing to do.

I heard the plan is to make it an amusement park over the water?
          If so, that is cool
          Finfisher

Comment

No worries it will eventually be cleaned up and the project will go on. Pretty strange to know people are cool with substantial littering of our beaches but it's whatever. To each his own I guess
            Live every week like its shark week

Comment

yep...its great to have some guy at gtown (whatever the f that is) making sure everything is done acceptable. makes me feel safer about fishing in the surf.

Comment

I've got nothing against Billy for being upset at this and trying to get something done. The surfers walk all over that area and it is in their interest to keep glass off of it.

I'm not too concerned about it personally. All that glass and rubble will get buried or worn smooth soon enough. I bet it wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention if it was happening on a crappy surfing day.

There was tons of debris after Ike and it is almost all buried.

Gtown surf has the best surf cam on the island, no comparison. You can even make out the breakers at night. I appreciate what he does, and he has seemed like a super cool dude from my limited run-ins.

Comment

I'm more worried about what might be pumped into our lakes,streams,river's and marshes than some construction debris.Hell they sink sheet all the times to make reef's.What about all of Mexico's trash that washes up all along the coast.I'm with you JT!
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

yep...its great to have some guy at gtown (whatever the f that is) making sure everything is done acceptable. makes me feel safer about fishing in the surf.
                    JT, I can fill you in a little more, and personally I'm happy he stepped up and took the lead on the whole thing. A couple days ago the East wall of the Flagship was intact, workers were busting out glass and letting it rain in the water suposedly. It was witnessed by maybe 6-12 people who started calling the likes of the GLO, Mayors office, Surfrider Foundation, whoever the hell would listen. The next day, it was suposedly witnessed that the workers had a small frontloader and were pushing the wall, window frames, ect...into the water. I say supposedly, because to my knowledge...no one has a film of it actually happening.
                    Billy, or Jim Suydem(I think thats his real name), is a realtor in GTown and has a website GTownsurf.com. On it he post some badass pics of around Galveston daily and has the best surfcam there is IMHO at 43rd St. He also does a pretty darn good surf report. Not a bad guy, actually very decent individual again IMHO. So long story short...he calls all the necessary offices and gets people calling the necessary offices and actually got the GLO to come out and take a look at how it was all being handled...which wasn't very professional at all. Wsa it Tillmans fault, or the demo company he hired...your right, who the F cares, but now they are talking about a cleanup because the contractor can't be for certain what went on. Basically, he let a bunch of no english speaking labors get rid of it how they saw fit...some went in a dumpster some went overboard possibly. Now I know you don't want anyone getting Fup by some window pain drifting around in the Gulf which could end up on the Westend quite easily, or your feet cut while you casually walk out into the water...so Billy is doing something worthwhile, again IMHO. Now, this might be a bunch of nothing for nothing, but at least he cares enough to try so I applaud him for his efforts. Will it halt the Tillman machine any...hell no, other than making him handle his business a little more carefully when it comes to who he hires.
                    Not a rant bro...just passing on what I know!
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                      I'm more worried about what might be pumped into our lakes,streams,river's and marshes than some construction debris.Hell they sink sheet all the times to make reef's.What about all of Mexico's trash that washes up all along the coast.I'm with you JT!
                      A storm is onething...doing it deliberate is another. Littering is littering if your doing it knowingly because your to damn lazy to pull it in instead of pushing out. Certain debris is considered acceptable at distances from shore, but in a surf zone a couple weeks before Spring Break...if they did it...F'EM, make them pay to clean up!
                      Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Until we see proof this is all hersay Monte.What i see hear is a small business owner not seeing the big pictur of future business that this park may bring him and the island.
                        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
                          Until we see proof this is all hersay Monte.What i see hear is a small business owner not seeing the big pictur of future business that this park may bring him and the island.
                          Well, while that is true...if one person gets hurt because he cut corners...Chris I hope its not your kid all Im saying. Hey, we could hire more people at this refinery if the EPA would just get off our ***...same mentality brother.
                          Tillman isn't gonna run from Big bad Billy I'm sure...its more the demo contractor that is at fault...hell ol Tillman can just wash his hands of it...its a sub doing the work.
                          Last edited by FlatoutFishin; March 1, 2011, 11:14 PM.
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

i have been surfing the Flagship as long as i can remember
                            still surf there on a regular basis... so if some dumbarse is shoving concrete,steel,rebar& glass
                            right where i paddle out...im glad i have a guy like billy to help get something done about it!
                            i dont want to wipe out on the inside and get skewered on something!! just my 2 cents
                            Captain Glenn Stevens
                            Coastal Guide Service
                            www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	GSurf22811%20459a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	553996

Come and gitcha some!
                              Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Working...
                              X