Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about flares on the boat

Ok, I'm confused. Like thats news!

Anyhoo....... about signalling flares on your boat.
    What are the regulations now?
    I thought it was 3 red flares and 3 orange flares. They HAVE to be in date.
    The red flares could be either hand held or launched by a flare pistol.
    The red flares were for day AND night use.
    The oranges were for DAY use only.
    If I read the USCG website correctly the pistol launched flares are no longer acceptable? I don't think that is correct.

Also what about carrying flares that are still good but out of date?
    I keep all the pyrotechnic signal stuff in waterproof bags. The out of date stuff is still good. I always carry the in date flares as well as the out of date flares.
    Can't see throwing out perfectly good safety gear.
    Will the Coasties hit me with a citation for this?
    West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

If they outlawed 12 gauge flares that would be news to me-aint heard that. If you are in bays, no flare required, but if you are on gulf side of Jetty or in gulf waters, flares are required. Do NOT keep outta date flares with not outta date flares together-you can be ticketed since you can mess up and use an expired flare by mistake. Best bet is the three Red Flare kit-it is for day or night use.

Law: Boats between 16-26':
    Visual Distress Signal
    One orange distress flag and one electric distress light, or three hand-held or floating orange smoke signals and one electric distress light, or three combination (day/night) red flares: hand-held, meteor or parachute type.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Anything expired would not pass coast guard inspection...
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

ill see if i can find you some flares at the antique stores LOL.Word up MP?
        Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

SO you can keep out of date flares on board? You just have to keep an In Date set for inspection?
          West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

Expired flares are a PITA, since it's against the law to shoot them off for no good reason, and throwing them in the trash is also illegal. What to do? Go out during the day and fire them horizontally, or at a shark, far away from anyone. Don't tell nobody.

By the way, most of the LEOs and Coasties only want to see licenses, fish, numbers, lifejackets, and fire extinguishers, a quick inspection. A full inspection or "shake down" takes a while and they get into EVERYTHING. That's rare.

Oh, if they ask you if you have any guns, a flare pistol and flare is considered guns & ammo, so you might have to 'fess up.

Comment

They consider that little plastic flare pistol a "gun"? Never thought of that.
              I can't see wasting the older flares. They're still perfectly good. I keep them wrapped up plastic bags so they're like new.

So if I'm understanding correctly all you need is 3 red flares and you're good to go?

Comment

Yes. I have been checked, showed him new and old and they were separate, so OK-just do not have them together in same spot-put old ones in separate location.

REGARDING 12 Ga. FLARE PISTOLS, OLIN HAD A PROBLEM AND MANY ARE DEFECTIVE!! SEE BELOW:
                Coast Guard Issues Olin Flare Gun Alert This is a very popular product and so it probable applies to a lot of people here. The U.S. Coast Guard has issued a safety-alert warning that some flare guns manufactured by Olin have malfunctioned. The alert warns that a defective opening mechanism in some 12-gauge plastic flare guns manufactured by Olin prior to 2000 may not open wide enough to accept a flare cartridge. We have found more than a dozen defective flare guns, said Rick Gipe, an engineer in the Coast Guard’s product-assurance division in Washington. Gipe said that if a defective flare gun is forced open wide enough to accept a flare cartridge, a spring may break, and the gun will not close properly. Guns with a modification to correct the possible problem are marked with U.S. Coast Guard approval code 160 028//12/1. Boaters with flare guns should check the operation of the opening mechanism now and at the start of each boating season, Gipe said. If the breech will not open wide enough to accept a cartridge, the gun should be sent back for a replacement.The defective flare guns manufactured by Olin should not be sent for replacement to Olin. Rather, they should be sent to Orion Safety Products, Marine Division, 3157N. 500W, Peru, IN 46970. The Marine Division’s toll-free number is (800) 851-5260. Orion Safety Products bought Olin’s flare division. The Coast Guard Auxiliary brought the defect to the Coast Guard’s attention, Gipe said.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Just fly a Somolian pirate flag and you should be A-OK with our current administration.

Besides,.....sparks from a flare may burn up your bote.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Flares have an expiration date for a reason. Once expired you have no way of knowing if they are still good until you need them.
                    Save expired flares for chasing off potlickers only.
                    Too many fish are waiting for me to find them.

Comment

This may be a silly thought, but what about shooting off old ones on the 4th of July or New Years. How much of a difference is there between a big bottle rocket and a flare? I never thought of asking this, and it may be a stupid question, but I've never had to shoot a flare off, so I don't know how it would compare to a big Class C firework.
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Working...
                      X