Attn: Coonarses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Coonarses

I ran lines on the Brazos last weekend and caught a decent size softshell turtle. This is the first bigger one I have caught and I heard that them and common snappers are good to eat, so why not?

He is purging in a tote right now, and should be ready to join me for dinner by this weekend.

I have done some research on cleaning and preparing, but I wanted to know if any of ya'll had experience with this?

Sorry, all I've done is eat them. I love a good turtle soup with extra dry sherry in it.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I caught two on a trot-line in lake livingston when I was a teenager and my aunt fried them up like chicken. They were AWESOME!! Kind of a pain to clean but worth it.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

I'll have our resident coon arse post up a reply...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I have never eaten one but there are some bigger ones in the brazos than that. We would just cut the line.

Comment

10-4 Gibby, I have seen some magnum softshells while diving at Balmorhea State Park in W. TX. This guy is lucky to make 15lbs, and I know they get to be up to 40.

Sounds like you missed out on some tasty eating though. You know you can put anything in the enchiladas and it will be good?

Comment

the thought of that makes me want to:
              Attached Files

Comment

If you had seen the way its water looks after a day you certainly would. You never seen the way chickens are raised?

Comment

Yan,
                  I gotta know how this turns out! If you want another victim let me know.
                  "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Afraid I have to go with JT on this one...I'm guessing turtle eaters also keep redfish throats am I right?
                    sigpic

Comment

he looks kind of sad
                      XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

I'll tell you naysayers,that there is sho nuff some good eatin.I've eaten turtle twice,good both times.I was to young to swing the hatchet and clean but it is some good eatin!!!!!!!.

Comment

As Sandy knows as well as my buddies Harold and Herbie Thibodeaux, that is some fine eating, just fugly to clean-next time in Big Easy, try the Bon Ton Cafe's Turtle Soup (with sherry of course). If you think you had Turtle soup here in Houston, it was crapola compared to REAL turtle soup!
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

If civilation was to spirial out of control ie. no grocery stores and crops I do beleive Yan would be a survivor.
                            I still want to try his Lightning welk fritters and Ibis Wraps!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                            Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

If it taste like chicken then lets just eat chicken!!!!
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X