Bulkhead Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulkhead Question

My wife and I are looking at a house that will need some work. The bulkhead is one of the things. What is a rough estimate I would pay for a new bulkhead that covers two lots? Also, the boat house is trashed so I would need a new set up in there. Any idea on what the new slings and lift would run? Any help yall can lend would be great as that obviously effects what we do.
    sigpic

Brad,
    I can give you some info on the boat lifts
    I bought the whole kit from liftmasters
    For around 2300 and put it in myself
    All sealed direct drive...
    Bought before storm and still kicking!
    As far as the bulkhead goes call
    George Olson (Olson Piling)
    Or Billy Matlock (Matlock Pilings)
    Captain Glenn Stevens
    Coastal Guide Service
    www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

I'm gonna need some bulkhead behind my house as well. I want to go with sheet piling-- if I can find someone that does it i'll let you know
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Both company's I mentioned
        Do sheet piling bulkhead work
        Captain Glenn Stevens
        Coastal Guide Service
        www.Fishcoastal.com

Comment

Darian 409-771-6434

Comment

Seems like you ought to be able to get some close estimates of bulheading by the foot. Vinyl sheet piling (FRP), a fairly cheap alternative, is about $35 to $55 per foot for the material, with about $115-$130 a foot finished if you contract it and get backfill, cap, tie-backs, and all that. Just a guess.

The boathouse is a wild card, since I don't know if you need new pilings and beams or not. Seems like I got a deal one time for $300 a piling, wood or concrete, more if you want wood with PVC around it and filled with concrete - which lasts real good. Simple redecking and putting in a new sling cranker isn't too bad.

You'll be needing a GLO permit to do all that or renew the permit in your name, or make sure that "maintenance" is OK. That's a telephone call and at most a cheap fee, best to be safe than sorry.

Be careful if you're in a HOA or have local ordinances or deed restrictions which dictate what designs to use, as well. Have fun with it and I hope it all works out, chief!

Comment

X2 with Swells and Glenn. Brad-about $120/ft for bulkhead like mine or Mark's is a good estimate-that would include a small 24" cap. As to new deck, pilings and such for the boathouse, whew, that can get spensive!! I'd say a teardown and re-do with new pilings is likely about 20k+. make sure you use plenty of supports also-like me and Mark did-makes a big dif-just look at Mundie's-his dock is already rotting since they used 4x4's as supports. 600-800 per main piling and 200-300 for supports (6x6)-I believe I have 10 supports and 8 mains.

Where at?

Swells-most here are not in Bay, but in manmade canals, so no GLO permit needed unless you are bay frontage-but ya gotta deal with either City of Galveston permits (PITA) or Jamaica Beach permit (not too bad). You'll need "Certified" engineering drawing for COG Permit-took my brother months to get his permit from City of Galveston, but that was shortly after Ike-may be easier now.

Like Glenn said-a lift is about $2300+.
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                X2 with Swells and Glenn. Brad-about $120/ft for bulkhead like mine or Mark's is a good estimate-that would include a small 24" cap. As to new deck, pilings and such for the boathouse, whew, that can get spensive!! I'd say a teardown and re-do with new pilings is likely about 20k+. make sure you use plenty of supports also-like me and Mark did-makes a big dif-just look at Mundie's-his dock is already rotting since they used 4x4's as supports. 600-800 per main piling and 200-300 for supports (6x6)-I believe I have 10 supports and 8 mains.

Where at?

Swells-most here are not in Bay, but in manmade canals, so no GLO permit needed unless you are bay frontage-but ya gotta deal with either City of Galveston permits (PITA) or Jamaica Beach permit (not too bad). You'll need "Certified" engineering drawing for COG Permit-took my brother months to get his permit from City of Galveston, but that was shortly after Ike-may be easier now.

Like Glenn said-a lift is about $2300+.
                Pretty good estimates, concrete bulkheads on Tiki are running around 125-150 bucks a foot. Robalo where are using the 6x6 support pilings.

Just guessing a complete boathouse will run 20-25k

Gater

Comment

Gater: Around my docks as support. I have one of the few complete boathouses-looks like a garage. Cost me about $50k to rebuild bulkhead and complete boathouse in 2005. 8 main supports and 10 dock supports. Have two built in closets (well I did-Ike took the doors). All cedar as to sides and treated wood as to decking. Used SS nails for dock boards.

BRAD: Make sure your contractor uses stainless steel to nail/screw in dock boards-they will go under water and SS will keep you from re-nailing everything in 3-5 years.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                  X