Big news on big trout in area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big news on big trout in area

The big news on the fishing front is the number of extra large trout that are being caught all around the Galveston area. Extra large trout in my mind are those in excess of 25 inches, and reports indicate that the big sows are feeding just about everywhere.

Tom Daniels, of Katy, who recently caught an 8-pound trout in West Bay, said that if he had not known he was fishing in that bay, he would have assumed that it was Baffin Bay. Baffin is well-known for its trophy trout.

Recently, trout that have been caught in and around Galveston have rivaled those taken from the prime fishing grounds of the Lower Texas Coast.

Wednesday afternoon, I was filming a video from the docks of Fatboy’s Bait and Tackle on Jones Lake and the manager on duty came out and asked if I had heard about all of the huge trout that have been caught recently. I told him to read today’s Reel Report, and he would see that it is almost on an epidemic scale all across the area.

James Carner, who lives close by on Jones Lake, reported his catch of two large sow trout from the lake. Carner fished with live shrimp under a popping cork to make the catch. Rounding out his stringer were two nice-sized slot reds.

While Carner’s catch is typical in numbers for the really big trout, in San Leon, Ricky Woods found the waters full of huge trout and bait. Woods, who manages the American Legion Post on FM 517 in San Leon, caught nine trout between 25 and 29 inches, releasing them all.

“I have never seen anything like this,” he said.

In addition to the trophy trout, 13 others were caught with eight being retained.

The action took place in 7 to 9 feet of water just off the Houston Ship Channel. Large live shrimp was the bait.

Wood’s catch should ignite interest in the monthlong big trout tournament being held at the American Legion Post in San Leon during May. We will present more details on the event later.

In other fishing news, jetty regulars Sarah Melcer and her fishing dog, Abby, were at the granite rocks again Wednesday afternoon. Their first hour was spent waiting for a big mass of seaweed to pass before tossing lines in the water and the wait was worth it.

Using squid for bait they caught five bull sharks, 10 gafftop, two large croaker, a bull red and stingray. The sharks and red were released.

To get your catch in the Reel Report, phone Capt. Joe Kent at 409-683-5273, or send an email to reel.report(at)galvnews.com. There’s no charge for this service.
    One...Bad...Arse...Mothertruckn...Angler...

Sheepsheader,
    Just so you know, there's a link to the Reel Rport on the FWE homepage.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Yeah we do have the Reel Report on our homepage.

It's not wrong to post this but you really need to provide a proper link to the original article. When doing that you must give credit to the author & website that published it.
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
      X