2011 gardens first harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 gardens first harvest

Well I've been staring at em everyday for a few months now and finally decided it was time to get some inside.Man I cant wait for these bad boys to get ripe . I am starting to see a few bugs so tomorrow im gonna dust em. I should have a steady flow of these tasty rascals for a while. Man life is good!!!!
    Attached Files
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

looking great ray!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

WTG! Thats a big crop Ray. What am I missing? I always let em get red on the vine.
      Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Super jealous. Can't wait till I get some property with a yard.

No hornworm problems?

Comment

Cook some before they get ripe. Fried green maters are good stuff.
          From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
            WTG! Thats a big crop Ray. What am I missing? I always let em get red on the vine.
            Well you put the ones you plan on eatin in the window sill to ripen and the other keep in a dark cool place until you are ready for them to ripen in the window sill. You pick right before they are ready and then you can control the ripening process. If you pic em green I have actally stored them for 2-4 weeks maybe longer before I ripen them.When I have too many ripe ones at the sametime I jar em up. Im just and ol boy from the country what do know!!!
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Good info Ray...
              I didn't know that either, Mike.
              I'm hoping next season my Lab will be mature enough that I can plant a garden without him digging it up!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
              Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I'm gonna give it a shot Ray! Thanks for the tip!
                Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Good info and thanks! Last year the stinkers were sticking holes in my maters. I found some insecticidal soap and it took care of the issue. I've heard you can use dishwashing liquid with water and then rinse to get the same results. Has anyone tried that?
                  Good looking crop of maters Corndog! Time for a fried green mater BLT...good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                    Good info and thanks! Last year the stinkers were sticking holes in my maters. I found some insecticidal soap and it took care of the issue. I've heard you can use dishwashing liquid with water and then rinse to get the same results. Has anyone tried that?
                    Good looking crop of maters Corndog! Time for a fried green mater BLT...good stuff
                    I use diluted dishwashing soap usually dawn to kill any white flies. I dust the garden for any crawlers too.
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

you want to use a citrus scented soap for best results...the citric acid irritates the insects so they go elswhere. At least thats what they taught us in all my horticulture classes.

Comment

Yep, I used to make home-made insecticide and citrus oil was one of the ingredients - I just boiled some oranges and stuff that gone no good.

Rhubarb leaves are good, makes oxalic acid. A cigarette has nicotanic acid, another good one. A handful of dead bugs - especially the ones you want to kill - really works good, no ideal why. Boil, cool, strain, and add Ivory dishsoap (Dawn will work in a pinch). Bottle and spray away. Keep away from kids, as it's quite toskick.

Comment

Working...
                        X