X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Speck" Tacular Championship results

Got this in an email from Capt. Lynn

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Day one- As the day started, with a light northwest breeze; 52 anglers or 26 teams were set to fight it out for $12,800.00 in total prize money and the championship crown. There were also 4 teams with a legitimate shot at taking home the coveted TOY (team of the year) award (a prize package valued in excess of $10,000.00), so we thought. With the points being doubled for this 2 day event and 3 teams within 10 points of the TOY leaders and a few more a little farther back, things could get interesting to say the least. As the weights started coming in, and the weigh line not set to close until 5pm, the leader board began to take shape and the TOY race was getting real interesting. After sorting through it all the Team of Cubbage/Soule (Mike Cubbage and Steve Soule) were sitting on top with an impressive 3 trout stringer of 16.08 lbs., which included a fish that tipped the scales at 7.52 lbs. In second was the Team of Anderson/Stillwagon (Steve Anderson and Aaron Stillwagon) with a nice stringer that weighed in at 13.67 lbs. Crossing the scales in third was Team Wild ride (Jimmy Love and Jason Applebee) with a total weight of 12.49 lbs. Rounding out the top five on day one were the Teams of Ramsey/Vacek (Chris Ramsey and Michael Vacek) with 12.42 lbs. and Team Gunslinger (Taylor and Tracy Griffin) with 11.67 lbs. Big trout honors for the day went to Mike Douglas of Team Baad Marine with a pig weighing in at 8.26lbs. The TOY the year race was starting to get real interesting also with the leaders Havens/Renteria (John Havens and Eric Renteria) only able to bring in a 3 trout stringer of 9.70 lbs. landing them in 10th place after day one and Team Saltwater Assault (Greg Francis and Daniel Popovich) was applying the pressure by landing 2 places in front of the leaders with a sack that weighed in at 10.49 lbs. Team Generation Gap (Brent Juarez and George Knighten), only 3 points behind when the day started, found themselves completely of the leader board and Team Shake & Bake (Daniel Marshall and Mike Pickell) were sitting in a paltry 18th place, setting up a showdown on day two between Havens/ Renteria and Team Saltwater Assault for the TOY bragging rights. With the top 7 teams on the leader board after day one virtually out of the TOY race, pulling out the TOY race could become reality for Team Saltwater Assault if they could move themselves up 3 more spots in front of Havens/Renteria and come to the weigh line first. (All ties are broken by first to weigh in). With conditions set to change drastically on day 2 things were about to get real interesting both for the championship crown and the TOY race, and without a doubt, probably a sleepless night for a few teams to say the least.

Capt. Lynn

CHAMPIONSHIP
    Day 2- As the sun broke the horizon and the wind blowing from the southeast with wreck less abandon, day 2 of the championship promised to be an exercise in futility. With conditions doing a complete 180 degrees from the day before, the leader board quite possibly could completely turnover and the TOY race was there to be had for the team that showed the most patience and intestinal fortitude. Weigh lines were set to open at 12pm and closing 2 hours earlier than the day before at 3pm. With less time to fish, and the strong southeast wind, teams were forced to get to there spot and pretty much stay there for the majority of their day, if not all day. As the teams started to arrive, it promised to be exciting all the way to the end. When the dust had settled, Team Ninja (Randy Weaver and Dean Stevens), the reigning TOY, had climbed all the way from 6th place on day one to win the championship with a day 2 stringer of 15.33 lbs. and a 2 day total of 26.89 lbs. garnering themselves a nice pay day of $6060.00. Making it close and standing pat from day 1 was the team of Anderson/Stillwagon with 3 fish that hit the scales at 13.00lbs., giving them a 2 day total of 26.67 lbs. only 0.22 behind the winners and taking home a check for $2650.00. Holding onto third for the 2nd day in a row was Team Wild ride with 3 fish totaling 12.03 lbs. and a 2 day total of 24.52 lbs. earning themselves a check for $1755.00. Rounding out the top 5 were day 1 leaders Cubbage/Soule with a 2 day total of 24.26 lbs. and a check for $1000.00 and Team Saltwater Assault moving up 3 spots to finish in 5th with a 2 day total of 23.62 lbs. to take home a check for $735.00. Big trout honors went to Mike Douglas with that hefty 8.26lb pig from day 1. Steve Soule took second with his 7.52 lb fish from day 1 also. In third was Aaron Stillwagon with a nice 6.67 lb. trout. TOY of the year leaders Havens/ Renteria were able to move up 4 spots from day one to secure the title of TOY finishing a mere 8 points in front of Saltwater Assault, who made a valiant effort and put a lot of pressure on Havens/Renteria when all was on the line, but in the end John and Eric were not to be denied. They fished their rear ends off during the series and will tell you to this day that there were no easy days during this series and that at times thought that they had blown it only to keep fishing. They eventually ended up getting all the bites that they needed to take home the prize. Congrats to Team Ninja for their championship win and to John and Eric for busting down that door and taking home the TOY title for 2011. Thanks to everyone who fished this year’s series and hope to see you next year.

Capt. Lynn
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Looks like DPOP needs a new tourney partner!!! lol, j/k Good job guys!!!

Comment

I told Dpop if he ever decided to fish the Gafftop Masters that you would be the one to call. As of now I don't think he is interested LOL
      AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

I'm still impressed with that trophy mullet you caught though.... Did you have that mounted? I know guys that have fished all their lives and never caught a mullet that big! Not even in a cast net LMAO
        AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Great Tournament series and was run really good. I have not finished high in any of them but been fishing them the past couple of years and learning more and more. I had a lot of fun this year. Looking forward to next year already. Congratulations to Havens/Renteria for team of the year, As well as all of the other top guys. Aqua pimp/dpop always seem to find the fish. I would fish with Dpop and day. Getting ready for the redfish series hope to see you guys there.
          sigpicAndrew Dykes
          www.AndcoConstruction.com
          AndrewDykes@AndcoConstruction.com
          281-850-2897

Comment

Greg, you guys did great this year. It was a very well run tournament. I had a blast. Keith and I look foward to next years event. For the time being we will focus on the Red Carp tourneys.

Comment

This years series was a lot of fun and run very well. I was lucky enough to have an awesome partner. We had some outstanding days on the water during the series catching a lot of fish. Glad we were able to make a run for team of the year and make it interesting going into the final day. That was pretty exciting, already looking forward to next year.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                I told Dpop if he ever decided to fish the Gafftop Masters that you would be the one to call. As of now I don't think he is interested LOL
                You seem to forget that when you and I fished together, I caught the first, I caught more and I caught the biggest.

Comment

Whoa time out!!!!! You caught the first by 10 seconds, I'll give you that one....... How is it you caught 3 and I caught 3 = you caught more LMAO.... I'm not so sure about the biggest either.... If I remember right they were all in that 20" range. O thats right I forgot about that Gafftop from hell, I didn't know you were counting that one. My Bad!!!!!

AQUA PIMP
                  AQUA PIMP......

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Good show greg & DPop...
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Congrats to all who fished the series.Ill be fishing next years for sure.
                      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

lol there was no gafftop

Comment

Working...
                        X