Sweetwater Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweetwater Lake

Hi all, looking for a little help. I have been told to take my yak and try SW Lake. I took a ride down there today to look at the area and see about a launch point. From what I have seen, it is all fenced in with no access to it. I have looked up SW Lake online and it says that it is open to the public, but I guess that is if you can figure away to get into it. Anyone have any way to get back into there, for a Yak'er, without sneeking on someones private property. Hate for someone to put bullet holes in my yak..

I have been there, but it was before the hurricane Ike. I was in a 17 foot John Boat. Your access is a bayou from West Bay. It will be the 2nd bayou if you are coming from 8 mile road. Be sure you have a good incoming tide because it is very shallow in some areas. It's a good spot for flounder. If you go to google earth you will see it. Good luck.

Comment

about how far is that??

I will be making that jaunt in a kayak ( with a wife trailing behind). Depth of water not too much of an issue. Distance might be. Got to get my wife's biceps pumped up a bit..

Comment

Several years back we used to enter it by the gun range but I think it's fenced off now. That whole complex is a good gigging area that see's little pressure due to it's remoteness and navigation difficulty's.
        I'm not so sure I would recommend it by yak unless you are very capable. The bayou entrance coming from 8 mile is long and kinda narrow. When the tide is moving out you may find yourself paddling backwards but if one timed it right on a four tide day and used the tidal flow to there advantage then it could be a option.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
        Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Yeah that is a good spot on a SW wind. We used to go in through the back gates until they were closed and posted no tresspassing signs. However my buddy lives on the lake that sweetwater backs up to. Short paddle to the culvert and over the levee into sweetwater you are.

Comment

been there done that. about 45 to 60 minute paddle (dependig on tide and wind).

Comment

Working...
            X