'98 F-150 6-cyl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '98 F-150 6-cyl question

OK I got a now rusty '98 F-150 six-bang gasser pickup and I can hear some valve lash or lifters rattling a little, and wondered if you thought that was common - and what to do. Could it be "collapsed valves" on one cylinder? The boys kinda ruled out an exhaust leak already. Man I don't want to tear that engine down, but let me know whatchu think without seeing or hearing it. Only 69,000 miles, dang it, easy miles! Thanks.

mine has 270000 and it just started the same thing I have a 95 f150 300 6 cyl the new motor has around 70000 and it does the same ticking and rattling but it stops all the sudden and she purrrrs! I am gonna keep rollin and enjoying no car payments until she dies!
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

Maybe check your oil level, that's about all the help I can offer.
      Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Originally posted by Primer View Post
        Maybe check your oil level, that's about all the help I can offer.
        I put a quart of rislone in with each oil change
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Does it stop after a while or not. Sometimes the lifters will take a while to pump up on a Ford six.
          Beandaddy

Comment

Originally posted by Beandaddy View Post
            Does it stop after a while or not. Sometimes the lifters will take a while to pump up on a Ford six.
            Beandaddy
            thats what mine does
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Some upper lube oil like Marvel Mystery Oil or rislone(?).
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

swap it for a chebby and the noises go away.

Comment

Haha, a Chebby. But I sure like them no payments! Will try a quart of something to see if the lifters free up, and thanks for the advice. But yeah, it only happens when I give her the throttle, not a bad rapping sound but a nagging clicking. Nice beach truck, only been stuck once in it when the tide came up the the dunes ... lol, gotta watch them tide reports better!

Comment

you were probably trying to go peek at the noooodie beach when you got stuck and told yer wife it was the tide that had you way up der. lmao.

Comment

Put a quart of Marvel mystery oil in it for a 100 or so miles, then change oil to 40 wt. see if it helps.
                      Beandaddy

Comment

Good thing I don't have a talkin' truck, eh?

Comment

Working...
                        X