Need a Good Fiberglass Repairman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Good Fiberglass Repairman

Well, We had a pretty good day today but on the way back to the Yacht Basin coming from the pelican island bridge, I hit something submerged under the water in the channel and it knocked a good size whole in my hull, (about the size of my fist). Outer layer only....and alot of gel damage...

But it definitely needs to be fixed....

So I need some help finding a good fiberglass repair shop.

Thanks in advanced....
    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Adrians Fiberglass in Dickinson (832-297-9888)

Comment

that sucks man sorry to hear that, the number gilbert gave you did mine and did a real good job, i run that channel alot inbetween there you dont happen to have the gps coordinates around where it happened do you ?
      I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
        Adrians Fiberglass in Dickinson (832-297-9888)
        x million on what Gibbey said!
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Very pleased with the work Adrian did on my boat, I would have never thought he could make my 1994 cc look new again....but he did!
          fish caller

Comment

Originally posted by Reef Drifter View Post
            that sucks man sorry to hear that, the number gilbert gave you did mine and did a real good job, i run that channel alot inbetween there you dont happen to have the gps coordinates around where it happened do you ?
            Sorry ReefDrifter, I didn't have my GPS with me... but I can tell you I was slowing down as I was approaching the bend heading towards the Yacht Basin. When I made contact with the object, my boat vibrated really bad. I came to a complete idle, and everything was ok... no shaking or vibration. My first initial thought was I bent or broke a blade on the prop. I did a few circles thinking we would see or come across what I hit... nothing... idled into the dock and loaded the boat... That's when we saw the damage. To see the damage you would think I came down on something sticking up just under the water. I have a puncture wound, and the gelcoat is shattered around the wound (Gel is cracked all around the hole)

Needless to say I am down, but not out. I had plans to fish everyday till Sunday...(on vacation) just glad no one was injured,(I had three people with me) and it happened close to the dock. I am preparing the boat to take it by Adrians. I will call before heading over to his shop. I have no idea what to expect as of cost. I kinda feel like someone just shot my dog...pretty angry and hurt...but I am hoping to be back on the water in the future...

Thanks to everyone for the support and advice....

Fisher_of_Men

Comment

good luck hope ur back on the water soon
              I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Update!!!

Well,

There is new developement on the reason my boat has damage to the hull.. Come to find out we didn't hit anything this past Wednesday, The "Thump" we heard was a section of the laminate on the bottom of my hull tearing back exposing the subfloor and water rushing into the subfloor. It looks like my hull is becoming "Delaminated". This is the term explained to me because of a flaw in the production of the boat. It also appears that I am not the only Carolina Skiff owner this has happened too. There are parts of my hull that have become disattached from the support structure. If you push on these areas with your hand they are soft and flexable. Nothing under the boat should be soft or flex. The gelcoat is cracked like a shattered windshield, but still intact.
                I have been advised to contact the dealer I purchased the boat from which is "The Boat Ramp" in Port Neches. I will contact them this week and plan to tow the boat to their facilty for inspection.

The other problem I have is that I did have insurance on the boat. When I lost my job in Dec. of 2009, I was late on a payment and the insurance company dropped me. I couldn't get anybody to rewrite the insurance, so there is no insurance, and I owe for about another 5 years....

I am not going down without a fight and I believe every man is an honest man and always give them an opportunity to make good. I will keep posting and updating the progress of this situation.

But I will ask that all Carolina Skiff owners please get on your backs and look at your hulls, actually touch it with your hands, and look very close as you sometimes can't see the cracked gelcoat unless you are looking for it. Check for softspots. These are indicators of a flaw in the manufacturing process and that you need to address immediately.

Thanks for all the support..

Fisher_of_Men

Comment

Man, I hate to hear that. Carolina Skiff probably has at least a 3-5 year hull warranty I would guess. They should fix the hull or replace it. If not then sue 'em!
                  I just copied this from their website:

WARRANTY
                  Carolina Skiff, LLC warrants the hulls and bottom construction against delamination or separation for a period of five (5) years, providing that the integrity of the hull and floor has not been damaged by improper rigging, user damage or neglect. Carolina Skiff, LLC does not warrant gel coat imperfections, stress cracks, optional accessories (or their installations), rub rails, logos, decals or bow eyes. For specific details, read the complete Manufacturer̢۪s Limited Warranty.
                  "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Sorry to hear about this incident, but I'm glad you made it home safe.

If you end up covering this on your own, Hill Fiberglass has a location in Pearland just down from Centennial Park. I just had my 1978 12' Grayling worked on and it was in and out in a few days.

Hope things work out for you.

T.

Comment

Is'nt your hull with-in 5 yrs old?

The dealer is who you will need to go through, but I would deffinitly call the CS in Georgia ..... if it was a mfg defect I cannot believe they would not take care of it. Biggest issue is they are 12hrs away and might request you haul the boat to them .... good luck and keep us posted ..... by the way i do not think your insurance co would have covered a Mfgs defect, but I could be wrong
                      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Working...
                      X