No announcement yet.

West End fishing camp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the comebacks here about the fishing camp. All I can remember is that it was in the late 50's - early 60's when I went down there with my Grandpa. We used to fish and get oysters right off the front porch. The camp house was up on stilts as usual for buildings in the area. And the road leading down there was all oyster shell. Next time I go down I'll check the end of 8 mile road and see what that looks like (I imagine nothing like it used to) Oh, who is Lloyd Pepper mentioned above by kenny? Again, thanks for all the replys and it's great to be here on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowfin53 View Post
      Thanks for all the comebacks here about the fishing camp. All I can remember is that it was in the late 50's - early 60's when I went down there with my Grandpa. We used to fish and get oysters right off the front porch. The camp house was up on stilts as usual for buildings in the area. And the road leading down there was all oyster shell. Next time I go down I'll check the end of 8 mile road and see what that looks like (I imagine nothing like it used to) Oh, who is Lloyd Pepper mentioned above by kenny? Again, thanks for all the replys and it's great to be here on the forum.
      There was a shell road when I was a kid in the 50's. We used to camp at the pass but I think we drove that on the beach so I'm not sure how far the road went. Captain Lloyd pepper and his wife Cookie have been down here on the West End since right after WW II. He'd know.
      Rooster Collins had a camp in the early 60's too.
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Gosh, I hope both of them write down half of what they've forgotten. Has to be wonderful knowledge.

Comment

Maybe the GLO has records that go back like that.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I'll second Lloyd Pepper. He lives just down the street from Explorer21. He's a fine old gentleman.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
              I'll second Lloyd Pepper. He lives just down the street from Explorer21. He's a fine old gentleman.
              Lloyd probably doesn't want to be called fine nor old. rs aka Rutherford Shackleford.

Comment

I am going to contact Mr. Pepper around the end of the month and perhaps go see him. Would love to meet him and find out more about the camps on the West End. Thanks again for all the help and comments.

Comment

Hey Great!! When we get down there we will contact Seven Seas too. This is getting to sound interesting with some good prospects. Thanks again folks.

Comment

I bet it was off Sportsman Road-Ike wiped most of those old camps out aqnd many have been there for a long time.
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Just talked to my older cousin, and he said he could remember "driving on the sand" along the Gulf in Grand Pa's 48 Chev. and turning right off the beach to get to the camp. Gonna talk with Mr. Pepper soon about this. Thanks again.

Comment

One more thing. My cousin said Grand Pa always said, "We're going down to Lufkin's, wanna go?". As I said in the first post, Lufkin's was apparently the name of someone who owned it. Who know's?
                        Thanks. Eddie

Comment

Can't wait to hear the story when you find out.
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Welcome and good luck on your search.

Comment

last name of Lufkin for a place makes sense. Been that way all over. Like Moody or the Ol' warren place.

Comment

Seems Sneekypete will know something ,not that he is that old but he has known every name in the bay !
                                10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                                X