No announcement yet.

Need some help.....fishing GIN CLEAR Florida bays for trout/reds/triple tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help.....fishing GIN CLEAR Florida bays for trout/reds/triple tail

OK folks, I'm leaving in the morning for a week at St. Joe Bay & Mexico Beach, Florida. I intend to do a fair amount of bay fishing while there, but I assume my Galvatraz set-up is unlikely to be ideal for the extremely clear waters I'll be fishing. I always fish braid (recently switched to Fins 30 lb/8 lb diameter in pink color) and would like to use the same in Florida, however, if it's going to hurt my chances in that clear water, I'll gladly switch to mono. So, what says the FWE braintrust? Do I stick with my pink braid (& maybe even go down in diameter) or do I go with a small diameter mono/floro? Lastly, regardless of what I go with, do I still use my 25 lb floro leader or do I notch it down to 15 lb or so?

First off, burnt orange is the preferred color for REAL fishermen. Pink braid goes great with your quiche for breakfast, then a fashion frenzy happens as you decide what color shirt to wear to wade/boat in (likely maroon is my guess).

I would go with 12# mono with 20-25# flourocarbon leaders. TTUWader is in Islamagorda-bet he's using mono (not pank either) and bet it's clear.

Sorry, I couldn't help it on first part of post.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I'm no fishing genius like some here, but I think I'd stay with the braid and a flouro leader. I don't know why you'd need to step down on the flouro size: clear is clear.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I think you'll be OK, but the water can e so gin clear that's a real problem, since the fish spook easy. This means a longer clear fluorocarbon leader (17-20#) or even a top-shot to hide the line a little, and using lures (if you do) that aren't shiny. I used to hunt snook down in the Tampa Bay area and those fish are near impossible to get except at dark-30, dawn and dusk since if you can them, they can see you. Sometimes we actually look for slightly dirty water because it makes the fishing so much easier, or fish right in the weeds. They make a jig head that works in the weeds pretty good, and Berkely plastic baits or similar seems to be good most days. Good luck - and remember to post up our pictures if you get any.

Comment

Good luck tell us how you do

Comment

use 15 lb braid with a 20 lb floro leader maybe if they are spooky go down to 10 and 15

Comment

Humph, I have tried so many times to catch them in FLA, never had any luck, closest was along some rock groins and jetties. Try and imitate the locals. I had almost a few hook ups doing that. They used hard plastics too. Oh, I so hope you get to see some manatees. Makes for an 'oh WOW --- Its a Manatee' moment. Good luck to you. Go with anything leader as clear as possible.

Comment

btw, I go with a lot less weight line. I'd start with something really flexible and 12#'s.

Comment

12# or less on your leader.

Comment

Originally posted by Curmudgeon View Post
                    I'm no fishing genius like some here, but I think I'd stay with the braid and a flouro leader. I don't know why you'd need to step down on the flouro size: clear is clear.
                    In case your still checking messages. Carla at FINS braid did some test and the Pink actually dissapeared under the water the best. But, do use a fluorocarbon leader of about 3-5 feet.
                    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Yikes! I have no problem with pink shorts, pink Crocs, pink shirts, pink gimme caps - but I draw the line at pink fishing twine!

Just razzing ya, and there is some evidence that the red color has the least color penetration, if you got color.

Just a thought about those leaders - I use either a short 2-3 footer or a long one about 60 feet. I don't want my Uni, Red Philips, or other splice knot getting hung up in my guides when I cast.

Florida fishing really isn't all that much different from here, although you'll see the fish action will be downright weird at times, and as Small Bites says sometimes there are some freaky things like manatee sea cows. I rented a place on a canal in Bradenton (down by Tampa) and hooked up a massive snook one day and yelled for the wife to bring me the net, fast! So she misunderstood me and shows up with a pack of cigarettes, just as the fish busts off the line in a spectacular jump and run. Oh well, couldn't blame it on the pink stuff.

Comment

Cool, I love fishing new territory. I think you'd be fine with a flouro leader. I would up the length to at least 8' or so. I normally use 5 or 6' here. No problem with the uni-uni going through the guides, just don't try to launch a swivel through them, haha.

Let us know how you do.

Comment

Working...
                        X