Favorite rod length.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite rod length.

Just wondering what yall prefer in rod length for fishing from a boat. I have always just got 7 footers but i am hearing more and more about 7.5 and even 8 foot rods lately. Am i missing something?

dang, that's a long rod. lol.

I fish with my 6'-2 to 6'-9. I couldn't imagine going longer than 6'-9.

Comment

I like 7foot. Plenty of leverage to cast and handle fish.
      West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

six and a half
        I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kyle View Post
          Just wondering what yall prefer in rod length for fishing from a boat. I have always just got 7 footers but i am hearing more and more about 7.5 and even 8 foot rods lately. Am i missing something?
          It's just marketing, a way to sell more rods. They all work.......
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I throw a 7 or a 6'6". Not sure an 8 foot would be better? I guess you would get more cast out of it as the tip would be movin!

Comment

I agree with Kenny and that they fit entirely into the car. I use 6.5' to 7'. 8' would be too long.

Anything shorter is a Weiner.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Yeah i was looking at the lengths on the gloomis pro green and was wondering what someone would want an 7'10" rod for. Then i saw the local favorute waterloo offers up to 7.

Comment

I got an 8 footer a few weeks back for potlickin outta da bote. I find that its not so great for workin poppin cork unless you got wrists like Harry Palms. Also I find that I smash the tip into everything everywhere including ther Tiki Island channel bridge, its just akwardly long for travel and transport becasue im not used to it but im gettin better at takin it easy on it. Other than that matched up w a curado 300 its awesome to whoop up on some fish around the bote, around the motor, around the power pole, around the bow, and over the moon. You can really use the xtra foot or so to your advantage w leverage drag manuevering etc. Ill take the last 2 pros over the first 2 cons. Just another example of how an inch or 12 in the right place makes a big difference
                  Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

No one has made any immature jokes yet, ya'll never fail to impress me.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                      I made a reference to an immaturity, but it was easy to miss.
                      At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        Exactly what I was thinking......I use a 6' 6" to 7', but I really like the 7'ers
                        sigpic
                        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

It was hard.......
                          Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

C4E what about casting accuracy/distance?

Comment

You can empty 1/4-1/2 the spool with 20lbs mono on a curado 200 (hence the 300) if you really try or if you got some weight on there. However with the hook so far out there with mono its hard to set the hook good imo so I dont usually let it rip I dont feel that accuracy is affected too much, if at all in most scenarios.
                              Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

Working...
                              X