Johnson Sprite VS. Weedless Spoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Sprite VS. Weedless Spoon

Which produces more fish? the Sprite or the weedless spoons?

I've never had luck with the sprites but I know people that use them and say they're great.

I 'd like to hear a little more about that as well. I know people that swear by spoons, but I've only caught one trout with many attempts.
    "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Curmudgeon, I agree, I'd like to hear more. I've caught many Smacks and a Jack on silver spoons but never any trout. I've also been told definitely use a trailer and your success rate increases a lot.

Comment

I caught my first trout over 30 years ago using a sprite-they work great-also used the heck out of "Alligator Backs" -sprite with chartruese and red dots in the Chandeleur Islands. I used gold sprites a lot in Pt. Mansfield working for reds and did quite well-they are easy to use, just reel and change up speeds until ya get what speed they want. I've used them to catch trout in my lights-works well in lights. It is one of my favorite lures to use. If surf is too clear (3-4' vis.), jacks and macs will tear anything up-try them over reefs, in surf and on flats. I never used many weedless spoons but a buddy of mine used them in Pringle a lot under a clear float to keep em high and just above the grass.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

My best luck with spoons has been on the Red Ripper by Nemire, but probably because I just don't throw the other that much.
          Don't be a Nancy!
          If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I use the sprites in the surf where there is no grass and the nemire weedless in the bay. I tore the reds a new one with the nemire in west matty last summer.

Comment

I've been using 1/4 oz. weedless spoons in EMB and catching reds in the grass. I really don't think which brand you use matters. They all catch fish if you throw it in front of one.

Comment

Weedless for grass situations (But I usually only use gold weedless for redfish)... I have had some of my best big trout days throwing 3/4oz Johnson Sprite spoons at the pass! Both trout and flounder will nail them on the flats! I always keep one in my box! If fishing the surf! Use a 6" wire leader on it and you will have a blast with the Macks!

Comment

Seems like more than not, if it comes down to a spoon situation, I go spinnerbait instead. Funny story...I was fishing a West Gorda cove with a friend and his son...I tied on a redfish magic spinner and the son inquired about it. His dad told him something to the effect.... " you won't catch trout on that thing".....A minute later I caught a 21"er!
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I alternate between keeping the treble hook or trading out to a single on my Silver Sprites, same with adding a buck tail.

Mrs. Oleander, on her first outing in the surf a couple weeks ago, caught a sandie on a silver sprite.
                    I always have them in the box.

I tend to shy away from the weedless, but that may be against better judgement.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I just looked up those Nemire Red Ripper's. It looks like they have a rattling sound chamber? Maybe I'll give one a try this weekend.

Comment

yeah, that have a rattle to them.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatoutFishin View Post
                          Seems like more than not, if it comes down to a spoon situation, I go spinnerbait instead.
                          I completely agree with FlatoutFishin. I am referring to reds though as that is what I primarily target. When walking or drifting the grass beds I would always grab a spinnerbait with gold plate as opposed to a spoon. I get the same flash but when I have a Trout Killer sand eel on back of that spinnerbait...watch out!
                          sigpic

Comment

Johnson Sprite Period
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

x 2 on the spinnerbait i love em
                              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
                              X