Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie questions...

Hate to do this to ya'll but.....

My name is Kevin and I like moonlit walks on the beach, red wine and, OOPS!!!! wrong site....... <cough> uh... like I said..... my name is Kevin and I bought my first boat about a month ago and I need some local info about boat launches, good areas to fish, good source for info (ie maps and charts and tides), general tackle info, and so forth. So basically.... where and how do I catch my supper????

I have a 16 foot bow rider that draws about two feet with the motor up. I live in Kemah. I have a fishing license and some basic gear. I probably need to upgrade my rod and reel from the Wal Mart specials that I have now. I've taken a boater safety class and have my TPWD certification. I'm sure there are about a hundred threads similar to mine but I'm not familiar with the search function, so if anyone can paste the link here to save yourselves some time that would be great, or feel free to type it all over again. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Kevin

Academy has hot spots maps...

Our Favorite Fishing Spots. Swing by our site, http://www.fishwestend.com to learn more about fishing in the Galveston, TX area.
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Couple of things...first hiring a fishing guide is a good start. Tell 'em you need to learn the bay and certain spots to fish, when to hit them, etc. Next I would simply spend time burning gas. I have learned more about west bay just out exploring than I have any other way. I will fish on these trips but I mostly drive the boat, look at depths, types of bottoms in certain areas, currents, etc. I am one of those who really enjoys this...it's expensive for the gas but I think the best way to learn. Maybe the first few times take someone along with you who knows the bay. Post up asking if anyone would be willing to trade a little of what they know for the boat ride...???...
      sigpic

Comment

Andros Tarpon 26

Comment

x3
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Good advice
            MANVEL MOB

Comment

Step #1

Do NOT listen to ANY of the following people:
              Moonpie aqua pimp+ Beandaddy boom C4E Captain Kyle Dawg FISHINFREAK FISHORGOLF Gilbert jocues MarkoChavs mkirkland Moe Oleander Kayaker Paul Marx Precisionair R C+ Robalo single prong weldingstud WestEndAngler+

West End Anglers - You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Comment

LOL, Moonpie. I agree with Baby Tranny about some aspects, but really all you need is an experienced fisherman to come along for some pointers and you can pick it up real fast - shouldn't cost more than some gas & beer and good ole Texas joshing. Great way to meet friends and catch some fish. My advice is to get out there at dawn as soon as you got good visibility. You'll see the seagulls wake up and feed on bait balls, which is always a blast. Local knowledge is what ya need - and I think those charter guys charge too much sometimes.

The only other advice is to be safe and watch your draft. There's plenty of skinny water and with two feet in the water, you could get hung up easier than a flats boat that draws half that much. I don't like fishing low tide unless the tide has turned in hard incoming, which is sometimes lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonpie View Post
                  Step #1

Do NOT listen to ANY of the following people:
                  Moonpie aqua pimp+ Beandaddy boom C4E Captain Kyle Dawg FISHINFREAK FISHORGOLF Gilbert jocues MarkoChavs mkirkland Moe Oleander Kayaker Paul Marx Precisionair R C+ Robalo single prong weldingstud WestEndAngler+

I guess i'am safe since i didn't make the list.

Kevin there are plenty of boat ramp around were you live that offer some good fishin depending on wind and what time of year.There are a few walk in wade spots as well.Can you say clear lake!What do you like to throw arties or bait?
                  I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Lots of good fishing in the clear lake/Seabrook/Kemah part of upper Galveston bay. Have Jeremy (FP10) take you out and show you around!
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Trying to avoid the skinny water and what comes with it... I've tooled around Clear Lake but it seems more about tubing and jet skis than fishing, except around the Marinas, where it says NO FISHING!! I've also launched into Dickinson Bayou and followed it out to the Bay, but really don't know what to look for in terms of whats a good area, time, bait, etc. Can't see that its a good idea to anchor in the channel and wet a line. Heard that West Bay along a grassy shore line was a good kind of spot, but don't know where to go to find it. I'm happy to launch and cruise around with no real destination. Sounds like a great day to me. Is there a public launch around Tiki Island? Bayou Vista? Where in Galveston? And I need a general direction of travel. I'll grab the hot spot map from Academy and I've been told to talk to the owner of Marburgers in Seabrook about the area. Heard he's been fishing the area for 30 years. I'll be putting in sometime this weekend to tool around. Thanks for the info and the welcome.

Kevin

Comment

good luck!
                        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Hire Capt Frances aka aqua pimp, learn some spots, learn to navigate (most important) ask questions on how to fish, the ins and outs of bait choices, how to fish them etc.

money well spent

Comment

Upper West is chock full of reef...go slow until you get comfortable, and hiring Capt Francis is not a bad idea.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
                            Don't be a Nancy!
                            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Get the TroutSupport DVD.. "Find the Fish - Catch a Limit"... then go with Capt Greg Francis. The TroutSupport DVD will help you train your eyes to see what they are looking for... then when he's calling it out and pointing at stuff on the water and asking if you see such and such... it will all come alive out on the water and you'll excellerate through the typical learning curve. I promise.. I even promise enough that I offer the DVD with a 110% money back guarantee. Click the link below and check out tons of testimonials on the site as well as free previews.

I made the DVD's cause I was once in your shoes... man that was frustrating times trying to find fish, fast forward to today and I know where to look, what to look for, and how to work the sign that I see. But that's about me.. I want you to be able to do that and the DVD will get you on your way.

Tobin
                              TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X