Catching Reds SLP area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching Reds SLP area

I will be taking two 15 year old boys fishing July 11-12 at SLP. Staying at St Luis County Park. They have never caught a Redfish. I have been telling them how hard they fight and pull drag. I have a shallow water boat, so I can go where needed. My question is I need two or three areas to try. What would be the best weapon of choice? arty's, Shrimp, Live Mullet or Croaker. Also has anyone had any luck catching Reds at night? What area and what bait? Only get to go fishing two to three times a year. Trying to raise my chance for success. Thanks for any and all help.

I saw a guy that had 6 reds from bastrop bay on cut mullet. Fish it dead on the bottom with a 1/4oz weght, a bubble float is a nice addition for the kids to watch. thread the bubble float straight through so it rides up and down the line. add the egg singer below it then tie off with a swivel. Add 18" of flourocarbon leader in 25lb.. mono would be ok for this as well in 25lb. then a small cirlce hook, I believe a 1/0. Cut a 1" steak of mullet (thats straight down through the back bone) and cast it out there (usually takes a med heavy rod to cast this rig. tell the kids to watch the floats and let you know when they start moving off. It's slow fishing, but the kids will have a fun and you will catch some reds. Mud near shell reef edges were you see some mullet in the area.
    TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Working...
    X