Greens Cut depth // Old ICW channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greens Cut depth // Old ICW channel

Hi everyone...I'm new to the site. Thank you in advance for your responses. I have two questions that I'm sure someone here will have the answer to.

1. What is the average depth @ Greens Cut east of the pvc marker?

2. I'm sometimes successful and sometimes not running through the upper part of west bay through the old ICW cut between the buoys right off the ICW @ the causeway and the "reef A" marker. I've always stayed to the south of the old pylons up to the "reef A" marker with no problem...then I get in that area and try my best to stay on course until I can see the buoys or the "reef A" marker (depending on the direction I'm traveling) but I'm not always successful and hit bottom...any tips on navigating this area would be greatly appreciated. ....also if you do manage to stay straight down the center of the old cut, what is average depth and width?

what type of boat are you running? i'll give you a couple of guesses on your questions but i'm sure somebody has more exact answers. the pcv in greens cut probably 3 to 4 ft. the old icw channel has the oyster boats running thru it in the winter so i'm guessing about 6 feet there. it's pretty easy to get off the channel so you may wanna follow somebody till you get it marked on your gps. once you get past that old platform on your left it pretty much clear from there.

Comment

X2. The Old ICW near Deer islands on a low tide can be 3-4'. Mark a "trail" on your gps next time while following a bigger boat going through there-it can be easy to just make a small mistake and be too shallow.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Old ICW from the ICW to Confederates reef (West Bay Shell Marker A) is 6-8' if you stay in the channel!! I take the Robalo through there all the time. You need to map it going East. Run down old ICW (pilings) keep them lined up behind you & point your boat to the bridge & stay on that heading. If you notice the reef on your right (as your running East) is getting to close or depth has gone from 6' to 4' move more North (away from reef by turning left) & you should be good...
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Greens is not very deep.. 3-4 feet in deepest part..

the PVC tha's say 75 yds south of the cut marks a high spot in front greens and is only about 18". Go check it out on a super low tide day and watch where the current flows through there. Be careful.
          TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

Thanks for all your replies...I really appreciate it. Robalo, I'm on Jamaica Cove, too. Maybe I can follow you through there or we can take a quick ride together soon... and a twelve pack to you of your choice of course. I'll be down this weekend.

Comment

thanks Westendangler...quick question just to confirm: when running east heading toward the causeway, which side of the old pilings and West Bay Shell Marker A do you stay on???? the south (island side) or north (mainland side)?? I've always run about 15-20 yards to the south of the pilings heading east. ...maybe that's my issue??

Comment

I stay left of pilings when running easterly. Not sure where WB Sheel Marker A is. Also, would be glad to show you-IF I get the darn boats working right!!
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by fairwaymurphy View Post
                  thanks Westendangler...quick question just to confirm: when running east heading toward the causeway, which side of the old pilings and West Bay Shell Marker A do you stay on???? the south (island side) or north (mainland side)?? I've always run about 15-20 yards to the south of the pilings heading east. ...maybe that's my issue??
                  North side of the poles! You are running too far South. That's why your hitting the reef or running up on the ground it shoals in there because of the reef... You should always be in water 6' deep if not deeper!

Comment

Thanks Robalo...you take me through there, and I'll pay for the gas. We can run over to Harbor Walk and I'll top it off for you. We'll be down THU evening for the weekend if you're interested. Shoot me text 713-306-6056.

Comment

Well there you go...thanks for all the info, Westendangler. I really appreciate it. Too bad no one has taken the time to mark that area through there....seems like a worthy project. I would do it myself if I knew exactly where everything was. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by fairwaymurphy View Post
                        Well there you go...thanks for all the info, Westendangler. I really appreciate it. Too bad no one has taken the time to mark that area through there....seems like a worthy project. I would do it myself if I knew exactly where everything was. Thanks again.
                        No reason to mark it, it's a straight line you should be good with a heading off that reef marker. It's on every map out there, you can follow me through it if I make it down this weekend.

Comment

thanks so much!! same offer to you as I made to Robalo. Shoot me a text when and if you're available. 713-306-6056

Comment

My gps also shows the depth contours-you should scroll over to that area on your gps and see the contours-the old channel shows up pretty well on my Lowrance.

Comment

Working...
                            X