468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best places out of Jamaica Beach? Can you get to San Lius Pass and Christmas Bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best places out of Jamaica Beach? Can you get to San Lius Pass and Christmas Bay?

Hey guys,

Old fisherman, new to the West Bay. We're staying in Jamaica Beach with my Carolina Skiff JVX16 this week. Looking for spots to go. We've fished Carancachua Lake, and Carancachua Reef near the Old ICW with some success.

Also, is the a way to get to San Luis Pass and Christmas Bay going throught the bay or do you have to go through the Intercoastal and go down.

I know everyones got there top secret honey holes but any help would be greatly appreciated!

First I would suggest you getting a decent map and looking it over. You can get to Christmas by going by San Luis Pass and through Cold Pass or the ICW then through Bastrop Bay. As far as spots go, just look for an area holding bait and/or slicks and start fishing. You may or may not get em but have fun trying.

Comment

Thanks dPop! Got maps, got GPS, just lookin for tips. Tried getting to San Luis through some of the east side cuts, too shallow. Will try the cut closer to Cold Pass.

Comment

Trailer the boat over to the KOA and then go out from there.That whole pass area is tricky to say the least.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Thanks reeltime. It was very tricky and i had a ways to go when I gave up. I think your advice is well worth considering.

Comment

Thanks smooth mover! Yeah saw I lot of folks there. I'm gonna give it a try.

Comment

The channel from West through SLP to Bird Island is well marked, by people on this very site. Look for the orange poles and stay just to the west of them. That will take you to Bird Island. Stay close to shore until you get near the mouth of Titlum-Tatlum. To get into Cold Pass, swing toward the county park (Old KOA) from the mouth of Titlum-Tatlum (Careful, there is a reef at the North side of the mouth of TT you have to swing around toward the KOA), stay about 40 yards from the bulkhead/houses in Treasure Island and swing around Cold Pass. There is a huge sand bar stretching all the way down the pass to its turn. There is a small pole marking the choke point in the elbow of Cold and when you round that, continue to keep left, but not too far left, until you near the entrance to Churchill Bayou on your left. You can take Chuchill into Christmas, or go to the mouth of Cold Pass where it meets Christmas Bay. Bastrop is very tricky and WillieP will tell you, if you hit the oyster reefs, you could end up with a prop folded over like a taco shell.

If I was there, I'd show you around. Hope this helps. - Sandy
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

X2 on SLP area for newbies-very shallow and many shoals-easy to be aground in seconds. I suggest staying closer to Jam Beach-try protected shorelines-watch out for Shell Island just west of Jamaica Beach and Carancua reef north of Jam Beach. Please watch your speed in the canals and make sure all gear is up to date and accessible-Jam Beach has own patrol boats-also been seeing Galveston Police in canals in their boat at Sea Isle. They stop most every boat and do inspection/safety checks.

Be careful and safe and have fun and good fishing.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Are you staying way back in the canal on jolly Roger?

Comment

Originally posted by TTU Wader View Post
                    Are you staying way back in the canal on jolly Roger?
                    TTU Wader,

Yep we're on Jolly Roger about half way down the canal. Weekly rental.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                      X2 on SLP area for newbies-very shallow and many shoals-easy to be aground in seconds. I suggest staying closer to Jam Beach-try protected shorelines-watch out for Shell Island just west of Jamaica Beach and Carancua reef north of Jam Beach. Please watch your speed in the canals and make sure all gear is up to date and accessible-Jam Beach has own patrol boats-also been seeing Galveston Police in canals in their boat at Sea Isle. They stop most every boat and do inspection/safety checks.

Be careful and safe and have fun and good fishing.

Thanks for the insight. Luckily I'm up to date with everything. I do a slow wakeless stroll through the canals here.

Comment

TTU Wader wants to know so he can toss his trash in your yard instead of just throwing his empty beer cans in his own yard-he lives on Jolly Roger (that's why property values are lower for the houses adjacent to him).
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Lol. Y'all are 2 houses down from me. Feel free to stop by, I'm going out this afternoon.

Comment

What happened Alex? Florida kicked ya out? Was it when the GW asked about your fish and said "Snook" you replied "Jerkface"?

Comment

Working...
                            X