live croaker in galveston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• live croaker in galveston

hey all, new to the saltwater fishing scene, and texas. Moved here from indiana a few months ago. I have been wading recently using live shrimp with good success on reds but am looking to use some croaker tomorrow evening after work. Where do you guys get you croaker from in Galveston? I dont remember seeing any at bait camp I usually go to

GO to Sea Isle Marina, they sell them there, JT won't fish without them ....
    FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

Look for a Yellow Flag at bait camps for croaker.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Just look for the yellow flags.
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Boyd's in texas city or the bait stand that line the frontage off the 61st exit or on 61st st!
          I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Thanks all for the replies! Hope to report back with some good catches

Comment

Are most of the bait camps open 24/7 now? Looking to hit the water at around 4 before work

Comment

Welcome aboard.....Just get out there and throw some topwaters early and then you can go get some bait when they open if you really need it.
                sigpic
                Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

I usually don't have good luck with arties so try to use live when possible, I have work at 11 and live in sugar land, might have to wait till the weekend haha thanks all

Comment

Originally posted by IndyKid View Post
                    Are most of the bait camps open 24/7 now? Looking to hit the water at around 4 before work
                    Boyd's one stop is open 24 hours on Thur, Fri, Sat.

The other days of the week... open at 4:30 till midnight.

Comment

Welcome aboard and welcome to Texas!

No discussion of golden croaker would be complete without both sides, so let me say that some fishermen consider them cheating, they are so effective, and at one time our game department was thinking about outlawing them for fishing bait.

Enough said there, but many of the really good fishermen use artificial baits because that's harder and takes some finesse - such as on lures known as Corkies, Mirrolure, She Dogs, and various plastics in shad and shrimp shapes.

Comment

thanks for the info swells! I didn't know croaker had that reputation! I stocked up on the usuals when i moved down here, mirrolures corkies etc etc but just haven't had much luck with them. Back to basics!

Comment

Originally posted by IndyKid View Post
                          thanks for the info swells! I didn't know croaker had that reputation! I stocked up on the usuals when i moved down here, mirrolures corkies etc etc but just haven't had much luck with them. Back to basics!
                          Good man! I'm glad you decided to give artificial a shot. If you need to use live - you can't lose fishing the surf when the conditions are good on live shrimp with a popping cork.

As far as artificials go - search the forums for Aqua Pimp and read his post on colors. It will help you decide what you need and which colors do best in the morning/night/cloudy/sunny conditions etc.

I highly recommend starting with soft plastics - salt water assassin's are probably the most popular brand here used on the texas coast. Anything in chartreuse, plum w/ chart. tail, or morning glory w/chart tail for early morning or dark conditions. Rig them on a 1/8 oz. jig head and single bump them on bottom with a moderate retrieve. Also you can just reel them in normally w/standard medium retrieve and the paddle tail does all the action for you - no need to work it unless you'd like to.

IMO live bait is too much of a hassle - not only to buy but to constantly rig and mess with. Artificial all the way!

GL
                          I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

X2 on reading Aqua Pimp's threads
                            I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

thanks for the tips guys, plan on doing some reading tonight. Arties are much much less hassle, so will be great when i finally start catching something on them haha

Comment

Working...
                              X