Slack Tide Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slack Tide Fishing

Tomorrow's tides are generally slack. I looked at the Gilchrist & Christmas forecasts and both show a long, slow incoming with a high after lunch. Wind looks like it will be light early and pick up to S/SSE +10 as the day warms up.

I'm launching the plastic navy sometime early tomorrow morning and I'm trying to figure out a good strategy. Reefs may be tough fishing because of the slack tide but deeper water over shell might give fish relief from the heat. I like fishing in the marsh and a long high tide might hold bait but slack tides have never produced well for me in the marsh. Worse comes to worse, I'm going to scout some new areas on the shoreline - no matter what, I ain't staying home.

Got any good advice? I'm not looking for spots - interested in how you fish a day with conditions like tomorrow.

Tight lines.
    "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Jerky, tides in Trinity yesterday rolled in hard at about nine to ten. Thats when the activity was best. We fished a marsh inlet and they were right on the bank. A buddy fished deep and did a little better than us. Good luck!

Comment

A co-worker and I were planning on hitting Christmas as well and like you, I'm worried about the lack of tidal movement. Do y'all even think it's worth fishing? I was thinking more along the lines of going the opposite direction and hitting up rollover...

Comment

Go in the afternoon. Good falling tide then.

Comment

Even on slack tide days, which often are "double humpers" with two minor high/low tides, there is a bit of current at times. To me, this means moving closer to the Gulf to take advantage of the flushing effect to get the bait moving, as you backwaters can be harder to fish. Deeper water helps. Timing the "top of the fall" and the "bottom of the fresh incoming" can be mighty tricky, however, when max current is actually happening in your location. I'm not familiar much with the West End but those peak times can be up to an hour different from what the tide gauge says. If your lucky, you can follow a few bait balls until they are dispersed again.

On a dead low neap tide, well that's a good day for a BBQ instead of fishing, know what I'm saying?

Comment

Working...
          X