Fishing in Japan??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing in Japan??

i just moved to japan for the navy, and just got all my fishing gear yesterday with the movers. Looks like i will have to learn how to catch some japanese fish now, it is a whole different ball game here. Anyone have any ideas where to start? I am going to have to live vicariously through yall now since i do not have the luxury of heading out to west bay whenever i want. I sure miss Texas a lot. Wish me luck!

What's up stranger, how is it going over there? I thought of you and Japan when there were some fat dolphins within harpooning distance last snapper trip.

I've never been, but what kind of waters are nearby? I'm thinking it might be like W. coast surf fishing from small rock cliffs?

Comment

I'd be fishing for some hot Japanese snapper!
      From one squid to another, thanks for your service.
      What's your rate?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Well, that sounds interesting! Let us know how it goes. There are all sorts of fishing Japan vids on youtube.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQaZPvG9YyI
        Good luck!
        Last edited by Curmudgeon; August 6, 2011, 01:02 PM. Reason: wrong link
        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Dude I think there's a guy who posts on "the other site," 2cool, that fishes in Japan. I could be completely wrong, but I guess it's a start.

Comment

They make some sick lures over there, actually really honing in and making some advancements... just not sure it's worth the extra cost but they look killer.. I think there is quite a black bass fishery over there if i'm not mistaken. I don't know where to start though... maybe you could contact one of the japanese american pro fishing guys... ??
            TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

I don't think they have much for tidal flats like we do, more like mountains that jump up from the sea like our west coast. So saltwater fishing is more like offshore fishing, like ground fish such as snapper and big stuff like tuna. Watch for wicked currents and poisonous sea snakes, although I think the sea snakes are more common down by Taiwan. Sounds like a very different kind of fun. But fishing is the same language all over the world ... what works here will work there and visa versa. The deepwater jigging is said to be quite a thrill over there. Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                I'd be fishing for some hot Japanese snapper!
                From one squid to another, thanks for your service.
                What's your rate?
                I am an Ensign on the USS Tortuga here. Its pretty interesting. i have tried fishing here in the bay, but it is super deep, definitely not like the tidal flats in texas. i got some squid stuff, gonna try that, and who knows what else what. you can get charter boats here though, and can catch tuna just outside the bay. still looking to that in well. i did jut get all my move in , so unpacked all my fishing stuff, and am ready for some action. it seems like most of the fish in the bay are pretty small, but i have heard there is some sea bass in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                  What's up stranger, how is it going over there? I thought of you and Japan when there were some fat dolphins within harpooning distance last snapper trip.

I've never been, but what kind of waters are nearby? I'm thinking it might be like W. coast surf fishing from small rock cliffs?

glad you were thinkin about me. its pretty rocky here with deep bays. the biggest problem with fishing here is accessability. the roads are so narrow and there is rarely a place to park anywhere. on the plus side, there is no regulations on fishing whatsoever, so you would probably like it here since you eat just about everything haha. hope you and linda are doing well, ill keep in touch

Comment

Dude, my recommendation for you: try to learn Japanese, then make some local friends, and THEN learn how to fish there the Japanese way. Fishing is completely different there than it is here in Texas. It's way beyond your imagination. Trust me, I'm originally from Taiwan, and it's similar out there. They've got mostly rocky shores, you need different rods/equipment to maneuver on those terrains. Plus not all species out there are carnivorous, some are even sheer vegetarians, and you need to harvest some "weed" to get them, would you believe? Sure you can still target those kind of fish that chase lures but man, wouldn't that be a little boring when you get to fish something different?

Comment

Here is another example of how fishing in Japan is not like anything you'd have seen here. Some river species in Japan, including this fish they call "ayu", don't feed on anything that isn't their favorite algae. Therefore, the Japanese have created a way to harvest them based on their territorial behavior (http://homepage3.nifty.com/manasan/e...eiryuu/ayu.htm).

Comment

Most of the sportsmen there don't mess with weed, beer is plenty!

But from what I understand, Japanese jigging is a wee bit different from California, Texas, or North Carolina speed jigging - and these Japanese guys are pros on the jigging circuit and win like over in Panama and Hawaii all the time. If you like vertical jigging, it is quite a sport and quite athletic, a great workout. Similar styles are used offshore Texas here such as for varieties of macks, jacks, snapper, and tuna. They tend to throw "iron" for the deep stuff and for surface "popping" they have really ornate plug lures - antique wood/lacquer Japanese plugs are worth a ton of money over here. Who knows if you'll like it but it's obviously not like catching a nice trophy trout in the West End. I don't think they have that kind of action at all.

Comment

Working...
                        X