ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID?

Found this nasty looking tooth on the flats by SLP yesterday. Any ideas what kind of animal this came from? Looks really long for as narrow as it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	570026Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	570025

Need some better pics. But if it was a fishes tooth, it looks like one from a Payara.. kinda

Comment

Looks like a sting ray barb.

Comment

Sort of looks like a spine from the back of a pretty darn big trigger fish, hard head, or something like that. The stingray barbs I've seen are more flat and wide like a fat knife, not a needle point like that. Anyway, last time there was a bad fish kill on the surf line and I drove up the beach I got a flat on something a little smaller than that - went right through the tire. Do you know how hard it is to change a flat in the sugar sand?

Comment

I'd say it's a fin or a back bone/rib bone, not a ray's barb-barbs aren't smooth on the sides-they are almost serated like a knife.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Pteradactyl beak!!
            Beandaddy

Comment

This is actually pretty serated on the sides, but the top part looked like a tooth root. Very possible it's a stingray barb, but the root-looking piece makes me think it's some kind of tooth. I'll try to post up some better pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                I'd say it's a fin or a back bone/rib bone, not a ray's barb-barbs aren't smooth on the sides-they are almost serated like a knife.
                Yep, prolly!
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Pics are small, but I agree. Definitely not a tooth.
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I've never seen a ray barb that had any curvature to it...Mystery point.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Gafftop fin. Look closely, it should only have the small back-facing serrations on the curved side (the back of the fin/concave side). Stingray barb will have serrations on both sides.

Comment

X2, Gafftop dorsal fin... Gater

Comment

I think milkjug got it, Before I read the second page of the thread, I had GT tiop fin on my mind.

Comment

I have seen a few anglers cut the spines off Gaftop before cleaning (if you eat 'em YUCK!) easily could have been left on the beach or washed up...
                            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Working...
                            X