Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Tide

Has been confirmed from SLP to MOB

We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

That sucks. Thanks for the info Coe.
    "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

Comment

Hopefully this upcomming cool front will kill it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

I think it thrives in cool water and October is a traditional time for it. We have had some symptoms of red tide here in Jamaica Beach like burning, itchy eyes and sore throats. I haven't noticed any fish kill though.
        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I think you're right Kenny - we've had the red tide well into November. They don't really know why it starts or the bloom ends, either, although some say low rainfall and higher salinity gets it going. It's really got the scientists wondering!

For example some say it is natural and lives offshore in the mud - but this year we saw red tide developing from inshore bays, not offshore. The old timers say they can't remember so many red tide outbreaks, which does seem rather strange.

Some researchers noted that oddly enough, red tide can break out after another plankton blooms, which has the effect of making the water look very clear. I have no idea if red tide feeds off these plankton, but that might explain why the blooms mysteriously stop. Big waves and currents and wind don't seem to have an effect.

In the 60s, Florida started getting it around the Sarasota-Tampa area, and tried copper sulphate and some other chemicals to try to kill it. None of it worked. Truly an oddball of a booger - and real hard to try to fish or surf in!

Comment

We had an old home place in LaPorte built in 1905. In the 50's when I was a kid we used to get it in Galveston bay pretty bad every fall seems like.
            Yeah,
            Sammy, I remember all those days surfing with that pain in the chest when you breathed. We always blamed it on Dow B! LOL
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
            X