Right place... Right time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right place... Right time

Maybe yall remember my stint with the Alligator Gar that I first saw 2 years ago. Recently, I was starting to wonder if someone where Gary (the gar) was as its been about 7 months since the last sighting (normally if you wait around long enough, you will see him roll on the surface for some air).

Well, last night a couple of weird noises in the canal caught my attention. I saw a bunch of Coons playin around on the bulkhead a couple houses away and sounded like they were swimming around in the water. Never hearing of something like this before, I grabbed my big Nikon and Strobe to take some pics.

Not 2 seconds after I got the camera, Gary shows up in the lights!! It is either a different Gar, or Gary has been MIA because of a big appetite. Shot this video and took some pics.

The best part: ive been telling my friends and family/neighbors (plus FWE) about it for 2 years and no one believed me. They would chuckle and laugh "So Steve.... hows that gar doin?"Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4501.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	570349Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4460.JPG
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	570350Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4466.JPG
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	570351

Heres the Youtube

Comment

I believed you-seen a 5' in my lights at Jam Beach.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Yeah, have one about that big in our canal. Mell Wader has hooked into it a few times I'm sure caught it etc. My cousin even caught one! Apparently they LOVE crawfish
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Dude that first pic of the houses has my vote for pic of the week. Thats really cool. We get those big gar behind my house as well -- I need to rig up my bow but with my luck I'd knock out my light.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Still don't believe it! Photoshop! :P Haha That is one giant gar! And x2 on the photo of the week that is pretty cool...and bright!
            Resident Ninja

Comment

Thanks! The canal photo was a 30 second exposure. it was 1 AM!!

Comment

P.O.W.

Great shot!
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post

that's cool. what camera are you using. I've taken some killer long exposure pics wading the bay under a full moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                    that's cool. what camera are you using. I've taken some killer long exposure pics wading the bay under a full moon.
                    As good as the photo is, i have about 15 more of the same composition that absolutely suck!! Took a while to get the settings right.

D300s with nikkor 50mm 1.4 af and sb-600 strobe. I think it was at f8, ISO 400 and WB set to 5600

What do you use? I didnt mean to submit as p.o.w but am flattered everyone liked it!!!

If anyone needs real estate photos let me know.

Comment

Excellent shot & good on Coe for making it POW!
                      That gar is just fascinating. They used to scare the crud out of me when I was a kid.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Hey Ibtsoom do you live on center street in hitchcock???
                        Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
                        John Wayne.

Comment

nice gar. i live right against oyster creek in my town and we have some huge gar in it. ive been trying to catch one that i see every once in a while that's about 6ft. i love eating gar. its good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by sfef84 View Post
                            Which canal is this? Great shot.

Comment

i need to go buy some new arrows for my fishing bow

Comment

Working...
                              X