Left handed or right handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left handed or right handed?

I grew up fishing with strictly spinning reels and once I was introduced to a baitcaster I became curious...I am right handed and from the first time I picked up a fishing pole I was comfortable retrieving with my left hand and using my right hand on the fishing pole... once I went baitcaster shopping I realized that the majority of those reels are right hand retrieve..left handed retrieves are harder to come by. My logic tells me that a right handed person should use their strong hand to fight the fish and cast...but that doesn't seem to be because most, if not all, baitcaster rod and reel combos sold out there are right hand retrieve. And it seems left hand retrieve reel are far less available. I just don't get it...spinning reels are perfect because you can switch left to right and vice versa. Do I just have a weird logic or have other people wondered the same thing?

i am a lefty so i cast with my left and reel with my right. i have always thought that the reel companies have had is *** backwards. but i guess most people who cast right handed just switch the rod to the other hand.
    75% Saltwater 5% led 20 % soft plastic 99% Alcohol 500% Fish stories = the make up of an angler.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldSpoonGeneral View Post
      i am a lefty so i cast with my left and reel with my right. i have always thought that the reel companies have had is *** backwards. but i guess most people who cast right handed just switch the rod to the other hand.

my thoughts exactly as another lefty.

Comment

seems counter productive to have to cast and reel with the same hand. I initially bought a right hand retirieve thinking maybe I could get used to it...just didn't work for me.

Comment

Rt Handed person = rt handed bait caster. Just my opinion-whatever works for you.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Im a lefty I throw left and reel right shimano rules my boat spin cast only free shrimping under the lights in a wind or for a kid or a newbie.I dont have any use for a left handed reel they are bassackerds to me.

Comment

Righty here. I've always thought the same thing as the OP but reel companies have us rightys conditioned to switch hands after the cast.

Should be the other way around since you can set the hook better with your dominant hand not to mention cast and not have to switch hands. I'm used to it now though so it would be pretty hard to switch to a lefty model!!!
              I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

I am left-handed, but stronger in the right arm (single for too long). I just use a regular rt-handed spinning set-up. Don't think that clarifies anything for you...

Comment

im left handed also. im just gonna go ahead and say that the companies got it right because it works perfect for me lol. i guess ive never really thought about it because i cast with my left and reel with my right.

Comment

Must be a lefty who invented the baitcaster...you leftys are goofy lol My best friend is a lefty.

Comment

Whoa, lots of lefties here - say, did y'all vote of Obama or somethin'?

Just kidding. I'm right handed and use spinning gear for inshore fishing because it seems natural to me, less missing fish on topwaters and such. My right hand is the "power" hand and I use it for the stick, especially sight casting.

Offshore it's the opposite for me. Conventional barrel crank reel with handles on the right, and hold the pole with the left hand. I never cast these bigger reels for fear of a backlash. I'm talking big reels from the Shimano TLD 25 to an International 80-wide. You need the cranking power on your strong arm.

Maybe there's some history behind the reason why spinning and conventional reels are opposite. Nice thing about some spinning rigs is that you can screw the handle into the other side, nice if you're a Southpaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
                        I am left-handed, but stronger in the right arm (single for too long). I just use a regular rt-handed spinning set-up. Don't think that clarifies anything for you...

Holy cow! Am I the only one that caught that?
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by Swells View Post
                          Whoa, lots of lefties here - say, did y'all vote of Obama or somethin'?

Just kidding. I'm right handed and use spinning gear for inshore fishing because it seems natural to me, less missing fish on topwaters and such. My right hand is the "power" hand and I use it for the stick, especially sight casting.

Offshore it's the opposite for me. Conventional barrel crank reel with handles on the right, and hold the pole with the left hand. I never cast these bigger reels for fear of a backlash. I'm talking big reels from the Shimano TLD 25 to an International 80-wide. You need the cranking power on your strong arm.

Maybe there's some history behind the reason why spinning and conventional reels are opposite. Nice thing about some spinning rigs is that you can screw the handle into the other side, nice if you're a Southpaw.
                          Cue Robalo...send him to the corner!!!
                          I set my hook like I am fishing for tuna even if I am fishing for trout. Call me tuna Joe!

Comment

Anybody knows where I can find right handed rods? Seems all the rods are made for lefties.
                            -----------------------
                            .~~~~ ~~~~~~~ www.saltwaterhooker.net

Comment

They make baitcasters for left handed retreive. Im right handed but left hand is my skill hand works perfect for me. baitcast reel right handed but if I ever have to fish a spinner I go lefty dont know why. I swing a baseball bat left handed. I use to smoke left handed cigs too!!! Go figure.
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X