Monday... advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday... advice?

Fairly new to the area... moved from Florida a few months ago. My buddy and I have been fishing West Bay mainly and the Causeway by 45. We have also done Greens Cut. Anyways, we have done alright. Never gotten a two man limit of trout but we come back with a few reds, limit flounder...( easy to do right now), and usually 7 to 12 specs. So we are heading out Monday. NW winds 10 to 15.
    Looking at West Bay or Trinity area.
    I have the hook n line map and I have been doing lots of research it should be fairly chilly Monday.
    Without giving out any honey holes, does anyone have advice on where to go?
    Given the water temp will the fish be in the 3 to 4 ft water or will they be more like 6 to 7 ft?

I have been looking for drop offs and spots on the map and just hate to strike out by trying new spots.

I know a lot of fisherman invest lots of time and money into learning areas and mentally mapping out routes and fishing plans so any advice or help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.

The only advice I can offer is to watch out for the bottom. The wind will have the water blown out by that point. There will be lots of stuff sticking up that is usually covered up.

Comment

Thanks. Yeah it is supposed to be very windy through Sat and Sun... up to 30..... fortunately it decreases into Monday

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

The only way to actually learn something is to not be scared to strike out. If you are too scared to try something in fear of striking out you will not get better at finding fish.

Comment

Man I need to go fish with yo. Seems you are doing pretty good for being new to the area!! Start drifting the reefs arond north deer island soon!!
            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I can totally understand what you are saying but, if I can pull together any tips or knowledge from those that have been here fishing Texas longer than myself then maybe I can prevent from spending $100 and 3 hrs of travel time and getting skunked. I do lots of research and fish as often as possible. I try to boat with my buddy once a week and wade once a week.
              I grew up fishing Tampa Bay areas and then Jacksonville, Fl so moving to Houston and learning a whole new coast is a pretty intensive investment and unfortunately one that I do not possess all the time or financial resources for so, I try my best to pull knowledge and experience from other fisherman, bait shops, first hand, forums, and where ever I can

Originally posted by dPop View Post
              The only way to actually learn something is to not be scared to strike out. If you are too scared to try something in fear of striking out you will not get better at finding fish.

Comment

Hey scuba if you like I can get in the boat with you guys one of these days and show you what I know.

It wont take long.

Comment

Winds outta the North ...i say hit the North Deer reefs and Old ICW. Target bait movement of any kind, even look for a comorant diving...they're eating something! Drift from 3" to 6-7'. Find a strike or fish...make a note or mark and keep drifting, they quit biting, swing around for another drift. Dpop is right...don't be afraid to try something. Look at your Top Spot map, it'll help, but like some said...NW wind is a killer on West Bay. Trinity has been hot and cold...one day they're there...the next its a struggle. Remember early morning the fish might be just off bottom and want it slow... if you ain't tapping bottom, you might be going too fast!
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I say go fishing,grind it out & learn new areas, good time to mark exposed reefs after the front.
                    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                    X