468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furthest West Place on the Island that has Live Bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furthest West Place on the Island that has Live Bait?

Guys, i'm taking my girlfriend on her first ever wade fishing trip this weekend. I know the weather is gonna be bad, but we're staying at a beach house on the island with some of her family friends, and if i go down there i'm gonna fish at least once...and of course...she wants to go.

So i'm gonna set her up with live shrimp while i wade around and try to catch one on the usual lures.

Anyways...i was wondering what bait camp on Galveston the west end of the island has bait? Or which camp furthest west on the island is holding bait so i can pick her up a pint of live shrimp?

Thanks for the help guys.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Check with the Rusty Hook.
    I work just enough to pay for my fishing habit.

Comment

I don't know. The only two that I know of are Uncle Buck's and Smitty's, both on the feeder after the causeway. There's been some pretty good amounts of mullet around if you're handy with a cast net. Cheaper, and it won't get stolen by trash fish... Just hook her up, remove trout, repeat.

Comment

Wally world has gulp.

Comment

Ya i could do the cast net thing i guess...hell she probably wouldn't care if i got dead shrimp and she reeled in every croaker/whiting/hardhead/sand trout/rat red in the bay. As long as she was catching somethin every now and again.

I'd like to get her live bait though...just to up her odds of actually hooking something good.
          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Comment

West bay and Rusty hook both have a good selection of baits now, live and frozen. Shrimp on the bottom is always a reliable solution for introducing a new angler salt water.

Comment

West Bay Bait and Tackle (Jerry and Becky) near Nate's and the Chevron just past Jamaica Beach has shrimp ($18/qt.) and Rusty Hook is open just past Terramar. Good luck GHS!!! Knock em in the dirt and post a report!! May see ya out there.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I'll check with both of those places before hand to see if they have live bait for her.

Robalo...i hope i don't see you out there. This is one of my secret holes we're going to. hahaha jk

Comment

Originally posted by GHSmacker View Post
                    Thanks for the help guys. I'll check with both of those places before hand to see if they have live bait for her.

Robalo...i hope i don't see you out there. This is one of my secret holes we're going to. hahaha jk
                    Is it the secret one that you took a pic of, with the houses in the background for a nice reference?

Comment

As long as she was catching somethin every now and again.
                      That's the goal here. If she's new to fishing keeping here interested is top priority. You and I have had so many good days that we can endure a week of skunk and keep coming back, but she's gotta catch fish out there. Dead shrimp will always catch if you can't find live. If you think there are good fish around mullet could get her a drag-peeler. Then she'll really be hooked

You may want to consider using a smaller like 1/0 circle hook. I know my GF doesn't have the skills to hookset yet, and with the circle she should be able to just pull 'em in.

Comment

Tell Becky & Jerry hello! He commented on all the PVC poles we were putting out last weekend.
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Jerry's and Becky's place by Nates has larger shrimp then Rusty Hooks by at least they are back in business after IKE. I was there last weekend and both places has plenty.
                          LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

If you go by Jerry's and Becky's place don't forget to go early. I'm not sure at the moment but they close at 5:30, 6:30... changes depending on the time of year. Because it's only them it's understandable but just a reminder not to drive in town late and expect them to be open.

Good luck! and maybe if she's caught a few and is already happy you can have her drown a small mullet under a cork or freelined. A bite on that would REALLY make her day

Comment

Just go buy a bucket of gulps and you will be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X