Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times Have Changed...

Guys,

When was the last time you looked at the Houston Chronicle Sports section for a fishing forecast, report, etc...?

When I was a kid, my dad and I would always turn to the newspaper (any day) for the latest whats biting, then listen to Bob Stephenson Sr. Outdoor Show. Now you have to search with a magnifying glass to find a report for the lower coast??? or wait till Thursday to see a full page and a half of some kind of editorial. Before my dad passed two years ago, we would enjoy Saturday morning 5am wakeup calls to hot coffee and sit back and listen to the morning outdoor show on the radio.
    The digital age has really put a dent in the newspaper and probably the radio show.
    Sites like this (FWE) are a outdoorsman's dream. What more could you ask for. My dad never used a depth finder, he would just take the wooden paddle and shove it in the water until he hit shell and would say "This is the place". We would catch fish and never really thought about the technolgy behind it. Now we have fishing maps, with gps cords, arial satellite images, sites like this, and power poles replacing the anchor for shallow fishing. I'm sure I'm leaving out much more...

Man, Times have changed... I need to go fishing...
    "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
    "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Yes it is difficult to find the reports sometimes. What irritates me more is now they have the dang auto classifieds in the sports section.

Im just glad baseball season started so now there is something worth reading about in the paper and watching on ESPN............

But yes, times have changed.

Comment

times have changed and technology has made fishing more of a sport then a hobby these days, BUT technology does not take away the feeling of being on the water and landing that next big fish!

BTW, if it wasn't for technology how would I be able to reply to this thread from a restaurant in Tomball having breakfast
      LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
        times have changed and technology has made fishing more of a sport then a hobby these days, BUT technology does not take away the feeling of being on the water and landing that next big fish!

BTW, if it wasn't for technology how would I be able to reply to this thread from a restaurant in Tomball having breakfast

Thats what I like about technology... You're absolutely right...
        "Buy a Fish, Feed Yourself... Buy a Fishing License, Feed a Whole Community..."
        "The Fish You Catch, Tastes Better, than the One You Bought..."

Comment

hmmm Bacon!!
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

bacon bacon bacon bacon!!!!
            Oh wait... er um yeaaa Look at the times. Those were really good and actually my dad still listens to the fishing shows on am radio, we still take a pole out to "crunch" for a good mud shell mix but mmmm GPS!!!! Gotta love that GPS!!!

Arggghhhhh There she blowwwwsss Reef number x. We be fishin here today

Comment

After Doggett left, the chron became worthless for hunting and fishing. I don't even check it but maybe every 3 weeks to see if they wrote anything of interest that wasn't a pete and re-pete of prior years. That's why WEA is great and Coe is #1 for making this site-I don't care for that other site-2 sumthin-too many arrogant folks with crummy attitudes and comments and covers areas I don't care about.

THANKS COE!!!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                After Doggett left, the chron became worthless for hunting and fishing. I don't even check it but maybe every 3 weeks to see if they wrote anything of interest that wasn't a pete and re-pete of prior years. That's why WEA is great and Coe is #1 for making this site-I don't care for that other site-2 sumthin-too many arrogant folks with crummy attitudes and comments and covers areas I don't care about.

THANKS COE!!!!

I have to agree with Robalo on this, FWE is the place to get reports and hang out with some good people.
                LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Dain Bramaged

Watch it Explorer21-most folks that agree with me have drinking problems or Dain Bramage. Just ask JT.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Then I have to agree with you all the time, because I already have a drinking problem! I drink, I fall down, what is the problem???
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

yeaaa but were drunks not alcoholics... alcoholics have to go to those dang meetings and shhhtuufff 'hicup

Comment

Rehab is for quitters!!!!
                        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Major Dain Bramage

That's why I was swimming in the Canal at 2 am Saturday morning-thought it was good idea to set 2 more underwater lights while shirtfaced drunk and whoops, overboard. Lost glasses, blackberry and 3 eyelets on Allstar Titanium rod-why I thought a light action allstar would keep 250#s from going overboard I haven't a clue-no wait, mass quantities of beer.

Comment

Now that is a good story, can't say I have done that before!
                            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

My drinking buddies have a fishing problem .........

Comment

Working...
                              X