Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galveston Bay Foundation and the COE Dredging in West Bay

All:

I just recieved this response/update from the GBF. I am not a "tree hugger" but I do believe the GBF is a good conservation-minded group trying to improve the Galveston Bay Complex. I appreciate their efforts and prompt action.

Here's the response:

Jerry, last week, we let the Corps know that we were considering litigation regarding the dredging. They asked us to come in for a meeting and yesterday we had a six hour meeting at the dredge site and back at the office of the Corps. The Colonel was there the whole time, as were a half dozen of his staff members. The Corps has agreed to several things to reduce the impacts to their dredging. They are going to:
    1. Immediately do a seagrass survey at placement area (“PA”) 62 so they know exactly how much seagrass is there and where it is located specifically.
    2. They will monitor impacts at PA 63 where the dredging has already taken place so we have a formal record of what the long term impacts to the seagrass there are.
    3. Create an inter-agency coordination team to discuss all this dredging ahead of time in the future and also develop a full monitoring plan for what has occurred to date.
    4. Change the dredging that has yet to occur in PA 62 to minimize impacts to seagrass. They will do this in a couple ways. First, they are looking at taking up to half the dredge material that is still set to be placed in PA 62 and place it on private property north of the intra-coastal as beneficial use material. Second, for what material still must go in PA 62, they will ensure the dredge material is placed on the upland part of the island and not directly into west bay. They will also move the dredge pipe multiple times to ensure no more than a thin layer will be placed onto any one area.
    5. If the monitoring shows that they have killed any seagrass out there, they will consider mitigation for those impacts. We have not determined what exactly that mitigation will be, but we will stay on it.

I was impressed with the attention they gave this yesterday. They took our (and yours) concerns seriously and have agreed to make some significant changes. Please let me know what you think. I’ll keep you posted as we move forward.

Bob Stokes
    President
    Galveston Bay Foundation

Thanks GBF!!! And thanks to the COE for listening-beats the heck outta Obama-he only listens when he hears money crumple. (sorry I couldn't resist).
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Outstanding!
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Thanks for posting. That is an impressive response from GBF.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Thats some good news,The GBF is a well organized,civic minded organization.Thanks for that update !!
        West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Great news. Although there was no mention of the oyster beds covered with mud. I hope they find a way to mitigate that.
          We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Sounds like our actions are going to create a reaction.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Lets keep calling!!!
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Great News! Thanks for posting Robalo!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

That's awesome
                  Hopefully they will follow thru with what was agreed too and or "promised", unlike Obama
                  Just for you Robalo. I too couldn't resist, lol
                  Keep up the great work guys!
                  Finfisher

Comment

I got this same email, was trying to read it at work and my phone died.
                    Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway.
                    John Wayne.

Comment

That and they do a lot of marsh replanting that over the long term will vastly improve the galveston marsh as an estuary.
                      TroutSupport.comsigpic

Comment

The GBF is a good organization-if you can, help them out by sponsoring or contributing to their cause if able. I normally stay away from "Conservation" groups because they are too radical (PETA, CCA, WWF, Audobon, Sierra Club, Pamela Anderson -but her bod rocks if ya like silicone , etc.) and they lose sight and get too damn big and try to push laws AGAINST our (fishermen's) rights. Seems like the GBF does good things and is not radical IMO.
                        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                        X