rat reds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rat reds

Got out this morning in the fog. Hit the D-canal about 9:00 looking for a couple flounder for me and cuddles some supper. Water was that nice green with the incoming tide and south wind bulling it up a bit. No sign of baitfish so headed back to the backwater and fished the ratgrass for a slab. Got into the rats and released five from 14" to 18" ( perfect for filleting back in the day.) Fun time but the bite shut down in about an hour. Not another bump.caught fish on clear/silver flake/chartreuse tail cocoahoe queens. Guess it's gonna be Grand Prize bbq and a good ball game for evening entertainment. Life is good!

Found a lot o rats near grass in Jones saturday no size on em but catching is fun!
    West Bay Sensai...

Comment

I was right around the corner, Rollo. Gonna be a good year for them.

Comment

Harvey i found the flounder this morning but no trout.BTW what's a red it's been so long since i caught one.
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by reeltime View Post
          Harvey i found the flounder this morning but no trout.BTW what's a red it's been so long since i caught one.
          I would have traded with you in a heartbeat Chris. I haven't been on many either but you never know what that 3' water on a grass shoreline might bring.

Comment

The slabs are mixed with the trout right now. We've been sticking them pretty regularly with about a 2:1 trout:red ratio ... find the mud/shell mix in about 3 - 4 foot of water boys. If you can get to the shoals in Jones on the south end, that's be a good place to start.

Comment

And all i've been catching are flounder and no trout
              Resident Ninja

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                Nothing wrong with that bro. I will say this though ... if I catch 2 rat-reds in a row, I move. The hardheads tend to follow and it may or may not hold true, but it seems to me like once you're on the rats, you're off "the fish".

Comment

Originally posted by Jhua View Post
                  Much better than a blank !
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

good to hear the reds are biting again.
                    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Yeah, I never target red drum myself. It's one thing I agree with Mickey Eastman about. Unless I'm fishing a tournment for them to pay me a little ching I always let them go big or small. I like to eat fish once in a while and flounder is my first choice. Have to dull my hacksaw blade to clean them old reds. Sorry if that makes some of you bristle but stinking ducks aren't my cup either. Yall enjoy! And yes anything beats the skunk especially on non-scented real artifical's.

Comment

they are a pain to clean,but blackend over some rice,mmmmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

I like mine fried Dano. Don't own a pit or grill but that fry daddy works great.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
                            Yeah, I never target red drum myself. It's one thing I agree with Mickey Eastman about. Unless I'm fishing a tournment for them to pay me a little ching I always let them go big or small. I like to eat fish once in a while and flounder is my first choice. Have to dull my hacksaw blade to clean them old reds. Sorry if that makes some of you bristle but stinking ducks aren't my cup either. Yall enjoy! And yes anything beats the skunk especially on non-scented real artifical's.
                            Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ... not a bristle about it, we were hunting with a guy in Kansas this year and he asked me how I liked my snow geese, and without missing a beat, I said, "in a ditch on the other side of the fence"' ... them ole Kansas boys didn't know WHAT to think ... !

Reds ... I release em big and small just a-like, but ... I will say, being from Houma and having a coonass mother in town, I do bring a few home to her from time to time - she does some really good things with'em. I typically won't mess with'em but, like'em grilled and ... if you lay a slab of redfish right on top of your crab boil just before you take the crabs off (let it steam for about 2 - 4 minutes depending on the size) - it's like eating jumbo lump crab meat ... !

Comment

iron skillet for fish

Comment

Working...
                              X