No announcement yet.

A celebration of life: VJER Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only had the pleasure of meeting vic once at a club meeting but we talked for an hour or so and instantly he made me feel like we had known each other for years , we will miss you vic !
    I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blockade%20Runners%20Mid%20October%202010%20019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	556492Click image for larger version

Name:	Blockade%20Runners%20Mid%20October%202010%20012.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	556491Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	556490Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	556489Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00222.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	556493Click image for larger version

Name:	Vic%20Castnet.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	556494

Some of the pictures are mine some aren't. Vic was an amazing person. I'm to teary eyed to type anything else up right now, i'll get back with you guys in a little bit.
      Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Those are some great pics Austin. Thank you. - Sandy
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Originally posted by Primer View Post
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]19166[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19165[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19164[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19163[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19167[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19168[/ATTACH]

Some of the pictures are mine some aren't. Vic was an amazing person. I'm to teary eyed to type anything else up right now, i'll get back with you guys in a little bit.
          Awesome pics of an awesome dude RIP Vic the true master craftsmen
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

Those are some great pics!
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

This is VJER's son Alex (AJER), I really love all the pictures. I saved some. Boy, my father really loved this place. I love the pictures of him smiling. He always talked about this place and now I see why. A great place with great people. Thank you, all of you, for putting that smile on his face. That means more to me then any of you will truly know. I live in Florida, so I didn't really get to see him alot. But those picture really make me feel happy and makes my heart smile.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Dad smile 5.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	556495
              Thank you for this.

Comment

Welcome aboard Alex. Just like it was our honor and pleasure to have your dad here, it's wonderful to have you here too. - Sandy
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Very nice thread you made Sandy, RIP Victor, tell my pops hello for me. Just look for the band from Texas playing that good old country music, that's where he will be.

Comment

I'm not sure how to start this, but here it goes. I believe I was 14 or 15 when I met Vic. I would get dropped off at the old KOA by my parents for Sandy to take me out to camp, where Vic was waiting. Just about everytime I was out there so was Vic. I don't want to say I grew up out there, because I didn't, but the last few years of my "childhood" I was graced with the presence of Vic.

Vic was full of knowledge and stories, and as long as you would lend an ear, he'd tell ya any of em. He had a way of telling stories too, you didn't have problems picturing it in your head. He was as many people have said, a gentle giant. He had a HUGE heart and was a very caring man. He was a great cook, his gumbo was the bomb.

Vic was the kind of guy that if he wasn't picking on you, he didn't like you, but I can't think of anybody that Vic didn't like. I'll always remember him calling Sandy a nancy, or telling him he's gonna make someone a great housewife someday lol.

Vic was also a fisherman, and had a lot of experience. One thing he always preached was free lining live shrimp with a small splitshot and his favorite, trust, little gold j hook. All other hooks were too big, because all it took was that small j hook and it would be a perfect mouth hookset, everytime, and it worked. In my last post I posted a picture of Vic with a very small dogfish(mother in-law fish for some) that he went on and on about it being a trophy, world record fish. When I read the thread that I originally posted the picture on, Sandy said Vic would be ecstatic that I posted the picture. Well I hope he was, all the joy he's spread through all of us, I hope we filled him with joy also.

Vic was a great guy. I wish I could remember more stories to share with you guys but there were so many good times, I can't remember them all. I do believe with all my heart that last night, God and Vic set up the lights, grabbed their shrimp and little gold j hooks, and caught trout all night long. Rest in piece big guy. I hope to see you again later down the line. I miss you already pal.

Austin
                    Last edited by coachlaw; April 1, 2012, 01:26 AM. Reason: OP request
                    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Well said Austin. Camp will always be the ultimate get away for a lot of us but somehow it's just not going to be the same without Vic.
                      We are all going to have to pick up the slack of the considerable construction talents he had.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                        Well said Austin. Camp will always be the ultimate get away for a lot of us but somehow it's just not going to be the same without Vic.
                        We are all going to have to pick up the slack of the considerable construction talents he had.

It's going to take several people Bert just to make one Vic.
                        A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Where to start...first, watching the video(s) Bert made was a roller coaster ride of emotions. The last time I spent with Vic, he and I ran out to the camp the day I got the Shoalwater...he was as excited as I was. The first picture in the string above is of he and I going through the contents, checking it out. He wasn't much on fishing from a boat, preferred wading or "BR Porch" fishing. But, he knew I wanted to try it out and we found a few reds that afternoon.

Carpenter. He built the BR camp after Ike. I remember the day we replaced the front wall, re-located the front door, and put the windows in. When he told me what we were going to do that day, I laughed...then reminded him that he was on his own because I was neither a carpenter or good help. He smiled and said, we'll be okay. I have no doubt in my mind he could've finished 3 hours sooner without me in the way, but it was important to him that I had a hand in it. I'm one of the partners and he was just visiting. That's what he wanted and was willing to use "fishing" time so that I could contribute.

Cool. Through all my experiences in the world of music, sports, etc...I have met few people as cool as Vic. I admired him for how he treated others. I admired him for his ability to see the good in everyone. I appreciated his concern for my family, others, etc. It was genuine.

Fisherman. One night out at BR, he wasn't feeling well and was inside on the couch. To redirect our concern (change the subject) he asked if I'd seen his fly collection. For the next hour he told stories about how he made each, why he created them, and the fish he'd caught. I don't know if it was the passing time or stories that made him feel better, but he did. We fished under the lights the rest of the night. I'll continue to use the methods he patiently taught me...and can't wait pass them along to my kids and grandkids.

Cook. We never go hungry at the camp and there are different levels of "chefs" that contribute. Victor could whip up some mighty fine dishes. He was a master-craftsman. Attention to detail in every cut. He cooked the same way. Amazing.

Friend. He was and will always be. Not only to me, but my kids considered him a friend and that means as much or more. The friends and family I introduced to Vic were saddened by his passing. We all shared the kinship, we all share the loss of a friend. You never ask of a friend. You don't have to. Vic gave to everyone.

Tres

Comment

Working...
                          X