To my father VJER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To my father VJER

At 4:15 pm March 25th 2012, My father Victor J Martinez passed away surrounded by friends, family, his daughter Sarah, and his wife Lynne. Sadly I couldn't be there, I live in Florida, and I think that was a good thing. The last time I saw my father was right after Thanksgiving. He left one of his tool bags at my house. When he came back, I handed him the tool bag, he hugged me and told me he loved me and was proud of me. That hit me to my core.

Growing up my father and I didn't necessarily see eye to eye on, well just about everything. That caused a gap between us. We eventually got passed all the angst between each other and became the father and son we both wanted to be. When I got married he was proud of me and he loved my wife for many reasons. She makes me happy, most of the time. She kicks me in the *** when I need it and sometimes just for the hell of it. She made me a better man. I put away the toys of youth and took on the responsibility of adulthood. She has a funny way of bringing that out in me. What can I say I married a redhead. So pray for me.

I thought my father would be around forever. He's the toughest man I know. I didn't think he would leave us so soon. I feel like there's so much more to learn from him. There's so much more he still needs to experience. I miss him so much.

At 4:15pm he passed away. I imagine that at 4:16 he was woke up in the cabin of a boat by his father. With a smile on his face, my Grandfather says to my Father, it's good seeing you again son. They hug for what seems like an eternity. He tells my Grandfather I missed you so much and I'm sorry you went through the pain you went through at the end of your life. My Grandfather says it's ok, I feel no more pain. Then with a smile on his face, my Grandfather looks at my Father and says, there's someone here who has been waiting to see you. And in the doorway stands my Brother, John. John passed away January 8th 1995. My fathers first born son, the one who made my parents a family. Seventeen years he's waited and now they finely get to see each other again. My brother hugs my father with tears in both of their eyes. Then he hands my father a fishing pole. And together three generations of Martinez men sit together on the boat fishing with a big smile on all of their faces. Grandfather, Father, and Son.

I miss you Dad. Not a day goes by where I don't think about you. Some days are kind of harder than others. I think of all the memories we'll never get to make. But you'll always be in my heart. And I'll carry on the lessons you taught me. Thank you Dad. For being my father and never running away like so many others have. You worked hard to put a roof over our heads and you never complained. I'm sorry we never had that fishing trip you always wanted. But one day my children will have it and you'll be there. You are a great and honorable man who did great things and always gave a helping hand. You brought out the best in everyone and you always had patience with everything and everyone. I miss you so much. And I will try and carry myself in the respectable manner that you did.

I Love You Dad
    Forever your son,
    Alex Paul Martinez (AJER)

I don't think any father could ask more of his son than the words you just put here Alex. I can vividly see the three of them there on the deck of that boat. Thank you for coming here and sharing this with us.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

A fine tribute. Dad's are forever special.

Comment

Wow those are some great words god bless Yalls family
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

God bless you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great post AJER.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Sorry for your loss. Dad's are very special people. Everything they do(or don't do) for you, is out of love and concern for your well being. They can be hard at times, but it's always for our own good. It sounds like your Dad was one of the great ones. He will be with you forever, in your heart and in your dreams. Continue to make him proud.

Thanks for sharing.
              "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

What a great tribute AJER. Me not living in the area all year long, I have been out of touch. Didn't know Vic was sick. I responed to an email from Coachlaw a while back and it went to Vic too. He called me and we visited on the phone for over an hour. Vic was an interesting man and had lots of skills. You and your family will be in my prayers.
                Wayner
                Children are pieces of our heart running around outside of our body.

Comment

Very fine post.
                  "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Nice to meet you Alex.
                    Your dad was well loved in this community.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

God Bless. I can bet your dad is very proud of you. I am glad you guys had such a great relationship, that is hard to come by these days. I wish I could have had the pleasure to meet him, but I will am sure I will meet up with him some day on the other side near a fishing hole.

Take care.

DB
                      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Damn, AJER. You brought me to tears at work. Not cool! Now I am hiding behind my monitor.

I did not know your father. Sandy introduced me to him and I shook his hand a few times. It looks like I missed a chance on getting to know a really awesome fellow.

Comment

Very well said, AJER, thanks for sharing. I never met your dad, but when this site members speak highly of him, that speaks volumes. I am sorry for your loss, your family is in my prayers.

I have been there and it does get better over time. Just cherish all the good times and memories you have.

Comment

AJER yoru dad was a really nice guy.Thanks for the story. The last time I saw him was at a club meeting. We talked about wood working and different technics for around half an hour. He really loved building those chair and tables. He loved being at the camp house. The last time I saw him there he was out cacthing rat reds to no end while we all sat on the porch having a cool one. Our life here is a short trip enjoy the ride!! John 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Great tribute Ajer to a great man, who was my friend. I haven't quite been able to come to terms with his passing yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X