Drift Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drift Socks

Thinking I need one for drifting since wind blows me by spots so fast. What should I look for and consider when purchasing one. Size or length of rope, ect. for a 16ft boat.

Thanks for the input.
    Txkngfish

Valuable tool indeed -- Look on Ebay. They have em at a good price. Pick one that your boat length is on the lower range of.. Like for your 16' boat get one for a 16-18' or 16-20' boat.
    Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

They are cheap at Academy-can't remember price but think about $15.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

agreed with academy comment. I bought a budget one and as long as you take the time to dry it out it'll last for years. to comment on the rope you want it about 15 ft. remember you'll be attaching the line to the port or starboard side of the boat so depending on your tie point you may have to compensate.

Comment

Spend more than 15 dollars and you'll never have to buy another one.
          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Mine has lasted for many years-it's rubberized-only time I needed a new one was when one of my brothers dint tie off the rope worth a darn and it drifted away!! Buckets work also in a pinch.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
              They are cheap at Academy-can't remember price but think about $15.
              Agreed, about $15.00, in the kayak section. Though, I got mine from HOOK One, it's much better quality.

I use it for both the kayak and the 18' Majek.
              At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by ltgreat View Post
                agreed with academy comment. I bought a budget one and as long as you take the time to dry it out it'll last for years. to comment on the rope you want it about 15 ft. remember you'll be attaching the line to the port or starboard side of the boat so depending on your tie point you may have to compensate.
                Well said. I only use about 10' of rope on mine. You def will need a drift sock if it is anthing like last year.
                KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Keep it simple

* Drift sock
                  * Strong rope
                  * Stainless safety spring clip
                  * Float

I lost a drift sock set up while chasing birds in East Bay. If I would have had a float, I would still have it.

Comment

They will tear up in a shallow reef area where there are no fish anyway.lol

Comment

I use the small one from Academy. There's no point in spending more, as my original lasted ten years before the straps rotted. I attach a short section of rope to the sock and a bronze swivel tied to the other end. Then I tied a six foot piece to the other end of the swivel after I have slipped a small float on, Then I made an end loop that is tight slipping over the cleat.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	556565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	556566
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                      X