468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Conditioning: Who grew up without it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioning: Who grew up without it?

A thread on TOS got me wondering. How many of y'all here grew up without it? We got A/C when I was 7 and my school got it when I was in the 4th grade. I remember my dad got a hernia from installing our first window unit. We had an attic exhaust fan before A/C. I remember how luxurious it was on a Summer night when you'd get in bed and crack the window open, drenched in sweat, and Mom would flip the switch on the attic fan. WHOOOOOSH! Ahhhhhhhh. Perfection came through that crack in the window.

Can you imagine living without it now?
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

We lived a couple of places when I was a kid that had no AC, I think it was for a year or two when I was around 5yrs. Had the old house with the window weights in Galveston. That's about as far back as I can remember, it may have been a few more years just not sure.

Box fans in the windows, they were much wider than the cheap thin ones sold now.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

They didn't air condition the schools until after I graduated from high school My dad was a visionary in our neighborhood. I think he got our first of many window unit around 1962. Of course it was in the folks bedroom!! LOL
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

It was in the mid or late 60's before we had A/C in the whole house. Like Kenny said, the only A/C was in my mom and Dad's bed room. When I started high school they had just built a new school with A/C and no window's, can you believe that, no window's to stare out of and day dream. LOL
        A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

My high school in Tyler had no A/C. You'd burn up in September. As a kid, we had window units but like stated above, it was in your parents room and living room only. About the 4th grade we moved into a house that had central a/c.

What about the cars? I remember ones without a/c

BTW...I love the sound window units make and how they make a room feel. After Ike, AP and me hauled down a generator that wasnt big enough to power the A/C. I bought a window unit for the upstairs bedroom and thought about keeping it after my house was re-built.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
            They didn't air condition the schools until after I graduated from high school My dad was a visionary in our neighborhood. I think he got our first of many window unit around 1962. Of course it was in the folks bedroom!! LOL
            Got dang Kenny I didn't know you were that old.
            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

Grew up in Pasadena without AC, just the attic fan and an open window. No AC in elementry school but later schools had it. I rented a large house on 25th in Galveston in 1978 with no AC but many, many large windows and high ceilings. Lived there for 4 years until I got married. The new wife would not even consider living in a beautiful 80 yr old historical home (silk stocking) without AC. I don't even go camping without AC now

Comment

No a/c until I moved out of my parents house.They have window units now but rarely use them.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                  Kenny,

I forgot about the schools, I went to William B. Travis Elementary school and it did not have AC, then I went to Lovenberg Junior High and I think the installed AC my second year there or maybe that was Central High school that had the AC installed.
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I did until I was about 8 or 9 years old, but I guess it doesn't count as I was raised in upper Illinois, LOL

Hold off on the Yankee jokes fellas, I've been here more than half my life so I consider myself a TEXAN.
                    Glad to be out of that corrupt state

Carry on
                    Finfisher

Comment

I'm a spoiled rich kid, had A/C all my life. When I got out of college, I rented a house that had window units and an attic fan. I still miss that attic fan and I wish I had one in my house now.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Originally posted by finfisher View Post
                        I did until I was about 8 or 9 years old, but I guess it doesn't count as I was raised in upper Illinois, LOL

Hold off on the Yankee jokes fellas, I've been here more than half my life so I consider myself a TEXAN.
                        Glad to be out of that corrupt state

Carry on
                        Ok, I'll hold off on the Yankee jokes, but more than a few of us WILL BLAME YOU FOR OBAMA! LOL!
                        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Damn it was Hot!

Grew up in Dickinson, we had no AC at all. August was always the best month. Nothing like sweating all night. Got my first real job at fifteen and headed for Gibsons in Lamarque to get my first window unit. Best hundred bucks I ever spent!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Game 57 View Post
                            Grew up in Dickinson, we had no AC at all. August was always the best month. Nothing like sweating all night. Got my first real job at fifteen and headed for Gibsons in Lamarque to get my first window unit. Best hundred bucks I ever spent!!
                            Gibsons was where the geophysical outfit is now ?

Comment

We had a window unit in the house I raised in, but it was only used upon incredible conditions, maybe at best 5 days a year. It was in the dinning room, which could be shut off by the door to the kitchen, so that made the dining room and living room acceptable. My Dad was such a tightwad with electricity. But, it didnt matter to me really. That was the time you found something else to do outside of the house for many many hours, cause we kids sure didnt want to be in the line of fire for that argument. Was raised outside of Buffalo, NY. Grew up here tho. Best move I ever made (moved here before my 18th B/D). I'm not crazy about a/c. Window units sure rock. I'd take a day like today anytime. What a wonderful example of weather to brag about. HEY NO BLAMING ME FOR OBAMA, I got here as fast as I could.
                              Last edited by small bites; April 22, 2012, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X