How do we catch a mud bug?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we catch a mud bug?

So my buddy is in town visiting from Phoenix and he was curious of what made all those mud towers in my yard. So after some googling we hit the yard tonight, beers in hand to catch some mud bugs. Well two boys from the desert got skunked, we got to see some crawfish thumb their noses at us from their incredibly deep holes and my yard has several deep holes we dug chasing them. I told my buddy I knew some guys that would make us seem foolish with their mud bug catching methods. So whatca got? No real purpose to catching them just a bit of pride at this point.

Thanks

Travis
    When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Piece of bacon on a string. You won't catch enough to eat, but that's how we'd catch them when I grew up.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Today is a new day!!

Comment

Sandy hit it on the head. Gotta be patient with those deep holes, takes a while for them to come up from the water in the bottom.

I dig the Primus quote by the way.

Comment

String and bacon. They can't resist bacon. Good Luck!
          "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340

......find a shallow ditch and just pick them up!
            Yessir, when a real flood comes, get out there in the rain when they get flooded out of their holes. I just wear some gloves and pick 'em up by hand into a burlap bag, a dip-net for the fast ones. Not much rain the the future tho', next shot is maybe next Sunday. Big floods, big crawdads!

And they're prime yellow "op" catfish bait too.

Comment

The bayou method still works bacon tied to a string but wait until you pull up a water mossican!
              I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Mud bugs do love some bacon. Getting them out of their holes is a bit tougher. I put a small hook on the end of some line to make the bacon easier to attach. Not sure if the hook was digging into the hole but once we got the line back up towards the top it would stop dead. I tried cutting the hole back with my shovel but no dice. It was a fun way to drain some beers though. When I get home I have a lot of beer bottles with fishing line tied to them to clean up and a few holes to fill in. We dug down about 3 1/2 feet chasing one guy and his hole just kept going. We camped him out for a bit and he finally came out to say hi and went back down. I have well over a hundred holes in my yard from the little boogers. I know my son's dog has caught a few, she seems to like them. I think next good rain boy and I will go hit the ditches and see what we can find. Going to Kroger definitely seems easier but we had fun. Thanks for the help.
                When I grow up I want to be, One of the harvesters of the sea. I think before my days are done, I want to be a fisherman.

Comment

We learned as kids to use a big piece of plywood to catch lots of them. Put the plywood it in the ditch stand on it forcing it to the bottom quickly the crawdads will get sucked on top of the plywood. Let the plywood float back to the surface pick them off and move to few feet down the ditch and repeat.

Comment

Working...
                  X