Native saltwater aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native saltwater aquarium

Im always curious about our native fish species so I built a all native salt water aquarium.

I have been fascinated watching the way the shrimp, pin fish, and croaker interact and just how strong shrimp can be.

If you really want to know how our Eco system is like in our bays build a native tank.

It's pretty amazing.
    Son of the Republic

Originally posted by D-I-A View Post
    Im always curious about our native fish species so I built a all native salt water aquarium.

I have been fascinated watching the way the shrimp, pin fish, and croaker interact and just how strong shrimp can be.

If you really want to know how our Eco system is like in our bays build a native tank.

It's pretty amazing.
    Had a freshwater native setup like that perch bass and a catfish we would dig up worms and buy minnows for em that sun perch was the mean one!!
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

My Grandmother had many fresh water tanks at our house when We were kids. It wasn't pleasant when she caught My Dad and uncle feeding the Oscars minnows in the middle of the night after a crappie fishing trip and they were both full of beer!! Have You ever saw a pissed off Grandma @ 3:00 AM.?

Beandaddy

Comment

post some pics, id love to see it...
        Think like a fish no matter how weird it gets…

Comment

Originally posted by mikey01 View Post
          post some pics, id love to see it...
          X2
          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

I've always wanted to put one together. Tell us more about it. Salinity level, etc...

Pics too!
            "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

its illegal but put a small spec or redfish in there. maybe even some flounder. they are cool to watch in a tank, or so I heard.

Comment

I took marine science in high school and my teacher had an all native tank. The key to keeping native fish is to take the water from where you caught your species. I check ph and salinity to make sure they are with in a reasonable range with a ph test kit and for the salinity test I use a hydrometer that you can get at petsmart or petco.
                Son of the Republic

Comment

This my holding take before I put them in my 120 gallon tank with native sand, live oyster, and some sea grass.

That tank is cloudy right now because I just bought the tank a few days ago to build it. When it clears and I put the fish in I will post more pics.

Croaker

Golden croaker, spotted croaker

Shrimp in the grass
                  Son of the Republic

Comment

do you snorkle or scuba dive? you can find some really cool stuff along the jetties to add to your tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilbert View Post
                      do you snorkle or scuba dive? you can find some really cool stuff along the jetties to add to your tank.
                      Hook him up then....I will try not to foul hook you!!!
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Man, that's really cool! Live oysters and all.

If y'all are ever at the SLP county park (Old KOA at SLP) go inside the building next to the launch ramp. It's got 3 very large aquariums in it with redfish, flounder, trout, snook!, sheepies, drum, croaker, channel mullet, mullet, piggies, etc.
                        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Great idea doing a local salt tank. Would love to see the final project.
                          "Cause we drank all the fish, and caught all the beer"

Comment

Great idea and the pictures look really cool. My son is very interested in marine science and is itching to get a saltwater aquarium. I showed him the pics, his comment "awesome" which apparently is high praise from an 11yo.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
                            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

i had one once and took the claws off of a crab and put it in the tank. after a couple of molts i found it down the hall in my living room. the shrimp were alot of fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X