Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf Question

Howdy all,

I have a question for you salty anglers. After getting skunked in the surf the Saturday before last (which was heartbreaking seeing as how the weather and bite were perfect all week until that morning), I'm trying to learn more about predicting water clarity before committing to heading down there.

I'm looking at the surf cams right now and it looks pretty filthy. I'm looking at the wind right now for today, tomorrow, and Saturday (according to Swellinfo.com):

Today: 12-14 mph SSE wind
    Tomorrow: 3-5 mph NNE wind
    Saturday morning: SSW wind at 5 mph

My question is, isn't it the SSE wind that, if it's blowing stiff, make the surf the dirtiest? That being the case, if it's supposed to die down and change direction by tomorrow, how long does it typically take to clear up? Meaning, that since the wind is supposed to change direction and die down tomorrow, does it take longer than a day to clean up?

Is my logic flawed with the SSE wind? Thanks fellas...I'm a novice for all intents and purposes and I'm trying to "up my game" on reading conditions.

s sw wind is the worst wind. the water doesnt have to be clear to catch fish,if its calm enough to wade go. i caught 8 trout tuesday in brown water.
    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I'd go in anything 1' and less. it don't have to be flat lake calm. anything over makes is rough catching waves in the gut or chest. not really fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
        s sw wind is the worst wind. the water doesnt have to be clear to catch fish,if its calm enough to wade go. i caught 8 trout tuesday in brown water.
        X2 -- any wind with West in it SUCKS for our end of the island.
        Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Well, wise or not, I guess I'm heading down in the morning. They're calling for 7-9 SSW at first light. Certainly not TOO terribly bad. Sure could use a change in luck from the 3-peat skunkfest I've been on.

Comment

Just got back and water was tryin to clear up and the North winds had layed pretty well!Good Luck!
            West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Thanks! I'll need it to break this losing streak I'm on. 10 mph at 6 am certainly isn't the worst conditions that I've caught fish in out there.

Comment

It should be pretty nice tomorrow with only a bit of bobbing and weaving. It's still pretty dirty but the fish should be there. Good luck!
                "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

little sporty now
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Anyone think it will die down a bit in the AM? May take a drive down if it eases up.

Comment

Originally posted by slyell View Post
                      Anyone think it will die down a bit in the AM? May take a drive down if it eases up.
                      swellinfo.com
                      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Some really good info posted above.
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

hope you went,we caught some good ones today.
                          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPER SPOOK View Post
                            hope you went,we caught some good ones today.
                            10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Nope. Sat it out to spend time around the house with the fam.

Comment

Working...
                              X