Eating speckled trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating speckled trout

I read an article today that stated that you shouldnt consume more than 8 oz of galveston bay speckled trout or blue crabs per month due to pollution. I don't think I can limit myself to that. What do yall think about this?

Originally posted by $peckmaster View Post
    I read an article today that stated that you shouldnt consume more than 8 oz of galveston bay speckled trout or blue crabs per month due to pollution. I don't think I can limit myself to that. What do yall think about this?
    im done for
    MANVEL MOB

Comment

I grew up eating crabs out of the San Jacinto river, and shrimp & fish caught at Morgan's point. Believe me, the water quality is infinitely better today than it was 50 years ago.....
      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

thanks for the input, now I know im not the only one going to keep eating them.

Comment

Dive in
          MANVEL MOB

Comment

I'm done.
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Enjoy your catch

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                Enjoy your catch
                X2

Comment

How about the spaghetti worms?

Who pulls them out?

Who leaves them in?

Comment

Worms disappear when you cook them. Not an issue.

I don't eat trout much, and what I do eat comes from virgin Louisiana marsh because I simply don't target them here, but I do at home because my dad loves 'em. I keep reds here and eat them with regularity. Now the crab thing, that's a new one on me. I plan on putting at least a half dozen down my gullet Sunday evening. How many ounces in 6 keeper crabs?????
                    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

You can see what the consensus among folks is here.

I am in the minority since I personally do not eat them in decent amounts anymore. I figure the two stances on consuming them are "TPWD is full of chit", or "I don't care and will eat them despite the toxins". I am alright releasing my bay trout, plenty of surf trout or other bay species not to mention offshore fish. I am not starving, and I doubt ya'll are either Eating smaller fish close to the limit will be better in general for any biotoxin, less time to accumulate.

Feel free to consume. We are also allowed to eat fast food and smoke cigs, and I like it that way. I would not feed large amounts to young children and women of child-bearing age. If you are over 50, it probably doesn't matter what you do because these particular chemicals take a while to affect you.

My $.02

Comment

Originally posted by Galveston340
                        ....I ate some bad crabs one time. But we had just pulled into port in the Med and I was definitely drunk on some Ouzo!!
                        Rocky I fixed that for you !
                        "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after" ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                          How about the spaghetti worms?

Who pulls them out?

Who leaves them in?
                          they cook up just fine....

Comment

It's mainly a notice from the Texas Department of Human Services saying that pregnant women and babies shouldn't consume much fish, especially certain kinds like mackerel (mercury), or in certain places where high pollution exists (up the San Jac). The TPWD doesn't do these advisories and closings other than pass along the notices, or might do things like shut down the oyster fleet when Vibrio or red tide comes in.

Crabs? They have a way of picking up metals like chromium from the sediment, and you should be fine if you're not a crybaby or a pregnant Nancy.

Comment

Whats in the beef you eat ! steroids and growth hormones . how about a glass of milk, yuck! Chicken full of stuff for growth so much so that they die from cardiac arrest from the coctail,if not fed properly,Pork no thanks, unless its wild caught!and fish,No farm raised if possible! So eatin the wild caught fish and other game thats out theres gonna be bad for me,LOL Watch out for that USDA stamp of approval on your next steak! The biggest problem I have is my freezers gettin a little low on wild stuff.
                              West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Working...
                              X