Is 20 lb monofilament too heavy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
    Whether you choose a shock leader or not if you're throwing a jig or sinking bait around structure you need to check your line for abrasion or nicks ever so often before your next cast. A good fish breaking off can give you the blues.
    The best advice on this thread.I'm gonna give you some republican rep!
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Thanks, my friend. I've got more republican friends than I can count since I've joined this site. Now I got to get rid of the few Nazi's and infidels.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
        Now I got to get rid of the few Nazi's and infidels this November, like Obama and his Gang as well as Pelosi, Reid, Waxman, Waters and Powers.

I done fixed it fer ya - just a lil' bit. Sorry, I just couldn't resist my urge.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

20# braid with 20# skocker on spin cast and 12# or 15# with shocker on baitcast. 18-24" shocker with the right knot and you will not even know its there. still need to check line, re-tie and change hooks often. cheapest part of your tackle is the line and hooks, don't let the last 5' of line or a rusty hook go unchecked and loose any fish, let alone the one of a lifetime. why spend $250 on a reel, $150 on a rod and not change $.05 of line often? I use a good backer line for the 1st 50 yards on my reels and clip off 5' when I change the baits. Some may think it's overkill but I can't remember a fish ever breaking me off.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
            I done fixed it fer ya - just a lil' bit. Sorry, I just couldn't resist my urge.
            LMAO.

Comment

What knot do you guys like to affix shock leader to 15lb mono? Albright?

Comment

Seagur rekomenduojamas mazgas dviejų valų sujungimui

Comment

I use a clinch knot on both sides of the sweivel and a mirrolure or loop knot on my lure.

Comment

Originally posted by agdodge4x4 View Post
                    What knot do you guys like to affix shock leader to 15lb mono? Albright?

this knot here

Bend the heavier of the two lines in a loop, and pass the lighter line through the loop. Wrap the lighter line around both strands of the loop 10 to 15 times...

Comment

Yes, I use 10#
                      Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Originally posted by Gulfcoast13 View Post
                        I use 14
                        Weirdo!

I used to use 12# mono (til I switched to braid) and never lost a fish. I use a swivel between the line & leader and tie them with San Diego Jam knots. If you tie line to line, the Albright is the strongest knot. I usually use a 20-25# flouro leader instead of mono.
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I guess the reason I dont use a shock leader is I use Spiderwire Braid, I double rig my jigs with spiderwire Mono-fillament. I cut off about 10" of reel string after every fishing trip & make new double jigs after every fishing trip!

Comment

How long should the shock leader be? I'm bay fishing. Does it pass through the rod guides ok? I put on 15 lb line on my 5500c3.

Comment

18-24" shocker

Comment

8 lb with a 20 lb florocarbon leader works for my reel holds more line casts further not just any 8 lb get a good brand most 8 lb breaks easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X