Spinning or Bait Cast.???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning or Bait Cast.???

I've had a Shimano Spinning Reel for some time now. My reel is just a workhorse..never any issues....
    Have always had issues with Bait Cast reels & backlashes...I mean, I'm ok with them
    but the dreaded Backlash is always in my head...
    I do however really like the lower profile of a Bait Cast reel...
    Are "Backlashes" these days really a big issue anymore with the newer reels.???
    I know you can adjust the spool tension for casting...
    Any suggestions/advise here..???
    I am thinking of switching to a good Bait Cast reel....if so..which would be a good recommendation..??
    Also...can I continue with "Braided line" on a Bait Cast reel.??
    What about casting distance vs. a Spinning Reel.??

Thanks,
    Troutfan62....

I backlash as often with my shimanos as I did with my old Abu 5500s and 5000s-it just depends on how stupid ya throw!! If I throw into the wind and try to throw real hard, I'm asking for a backlash. I rarely use spinning reels. Ya just havta realize when being dumb! Yes, the new reels are better, but when tossing in conditions that say "gonna backlash", ya will. I rarely cut lines and pick em out fairly easily.

baitcasters outcast spinners. Yes, you can use braid.

Use what yopu are most comfy with is my opinion.

A refurbished Curado 200B is the best or an old Chronarch 100B (gold one). You can replace the bearings (use ceramic) and gears and it will be like brand new. The new chronarchs are so so and the new Shimano line is crummier than previous years, so I would look for a used one cheap and rebuild the reel.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

If you just want to try one without spending a fortune, I think the h2o Mettle is incredible for $50. Near about as good as my Shimanos.
      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Robalo's right. Get you a good baitcaster and practice your casting technique tuning in the reel to your comfort. I throw mine like a baseball. When casting into a headwind you may have to go sidearm to keep the bait from balloning. Get your confidence in the baitcaster and you'll leave that spinner at home.

Comment

Bait caster for sure.
          KEEP IT WET..

Comment

I use the Quantam Cabo and Penn Conquer spinning reels and really enjoy them, I have used baitcasting and they work great. My just bought my son a Revo Abugarcia and he loves it. Every now and then he gets some backlash but not to often

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...
              Will start my search.!!

Comment

Also Quantum has a new baitcast this year called Smoke its about 150 at FTU

Comment

I have 4 shimano's & 1 penn Spinning reels! I hate bait casters I would NEVER own one!

Comment

Originally posted by The Fisherman View Post
                    I have 4 shimano's & 1 penn Spinning reels! I hate bait casters I would NEVER own one!

You will will get away from the egg beaters some day.
                    KEEP IT WET..

Comment

i always keep one spinning rig ready (Pflueger president on a 7'6" American Rodsmith H3 redfish rod)... on windy days trying to cast into the wind nothing beats it
                      www.lonestarkayakseries.com

Comment

Started with an egg beater and finally got into baitcasters after almost being spooled in the surf, that was all she wrote ! Garcia Black Max is still my baby but the Curado reels are edging her out slowly but surely. Hats off to egg beaters out there and three cheers for the baitcasters , the only way to go !
                        A Living Legend

Comment

I have a penn spinning reel that I love, and I got a Curado 50E(?) for christmas I am trying to learn how to use. I do not get more distance on my baitcaster than I do my spinng reel but I have braid on my spinner and mono on my baitcaster. I put a bird's nest in there so bad with braid that I had to cut the whole spool off of it. I do like my baitcaster now, it is much smoother and lighter. HA I still can't use the thing right. So with all of that said and knowing I am a spinner kinda guy I am on the fence with this one.

I used to fish for bass with the old ambassader, they were ok but I liked my spinning reel.

Comment

I usually take one spinner and one bait caster with me in the kayak. I use the spinner when fishing out of the kayak and have to cast from awkward positions (boat facing one way, trying to cast over my shoulder the other direction). When I wade, I always use a baitcaster.

One of my favorite reels currently is a Shimano Citica I bought for my son. I haven't gotten around to giving it to him yet. I have two Calcuttas (15 and 18 years old) that I just retired. I bought a Shimano Core earlier this year. I have only used it a couple of times so the jury is still out. I have a 1990s Ambassador 5000 I use to fish the surf. It is almost worn out but then again so am I.
                            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a spinning reel; it's just a matter of taste.Head a couple hundred miles east and they'll think you're nuts for throwing a baitcaster.
                              It took me a heck of a long time to get used to using a baitcaster, but now I find them a lot easier to cast. My daughter prefers a spinning reel and my wife still prefers her spincast.
                              To each their own. Besides: if you and I were the same, one of us wouldn't be necessary!
                              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
                              X