Daiwa T3 Baitcasting Ballistic ‘T-Wing’ Reel – Short version review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daiwa T3 Baitcasting Ballistic ‘T-Wing’ Reel – Short version review

I wrote a short review on here about the Quantum EXO and I wanted to get another reel review out here. So I went and bought Daiwa’s new T3 Ballistic reel. I’m also going to include the link to the Tackle Tour review as I like their site and their reviews are very thorough.

I bought the T3 Ballistic ‘T-Wing’ in the 7:1:1 gear ratio. The weight on this reel is 7.8oz, line capacity 14/120, 16/100 with a max drag of 13.2. Mfg price: $250 but I found a new one on ebay for $190. I put MagiBraid 20lb test and got about 200 yards on the spool.

The main item on this reel is the ‘T-Wing’ feature that is supposed to reduce the amount of friction when making a cast. It has a pop-up plate when you depress the thumb bar. I didn’t find this to be a problem when casting as the TT reviewer did. The thumb bar and the pop-up plate are all one piece so it’s all one part which is nice.

I took the reel out over the weekend and used it to fish for Reds and Specks. I was using 1/8oz-1/4oz jigs with plastic TTKs on a generic Castaway 7’ popping rod(Academy special). I like the reel as it casts smooth. Of course it’s a new reel but I keep all my reels in good casting shape. I liked the fact that it had the micro clickers for both the drag & cast control and the spool tensioner. Something you expect on a $250 reel.

The ‘Magforce 3D’ braking performed great and I liked the fact that you can quickly control it with 3 different settings. I’ve always liked Daiwas magnetic braking as I feel it’s smoother than the Shimano braking system. I got few backlashes which is the purpose of a good braking system.

The drag system worked well. I typically set my drag light as I was a bass fisherman and tend to set the hook hard on trout. So I always set my drag light and tighten it up when I get the fish hooked. But I liked the drag and Daiwa touts that they use carbon fiber drag washers which I’m a fan of.

The frame is more or less carbon fiber but Daiwa calls it ‘Zaion’. I like a carbon fiber frame as it shouldn’t corrode or break down in saltwater. It’s supposed to be lighter too but I didn’t find that the case with this reel as it feels a little heavy.

The handle was mediocre as I really liked the EVA knobs that they put on the Quantum EXO so it was a bit of a let down on the Daiwa. I think we’ll see more of these EVA knobs in the near future and I wish I could find some aftermarket to put on my other reels. If anyone finds any of these please let me know! Daiwa should have thrown a set of these on this reel as it would have rounded out the reel nicely.

As far as the casting distance and reduced friction because of the T-Wing, I couldn’t see a huge difference from my other reels. There might be some when tested over a longer period of time. However, the casting was smooth and the distance was as expected. I put on a couple MirroDine’s to see if I could chunk a heavier weighted lure further and it performed as expected. I didn’t see huge distance gains but it did well with that test.

Was the reel worth the $$$? My personal taste liked the Quantum EXO over the Daiwa T3. They are at about the same price point and I’d buy another EXO before I bought the Daiwa. The reason for this is the EXO is super-light and the handle is very comfortable. The braking system of the Daiwa is hard to resist though. So if you’re a Daiwa fan and like a magnetic braking system then I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the reel.

For more information on these reels take a look at the Tackle Tour review:
    http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwat3ballistic.html
Working...
X