Unusual Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Day

Started off this morning hitting the surf between the rock groins with a couple relatives. Water was decent but the seaweed was everywhere so we left and my son-in-law and I hit a cove near Jamacia and waded out to a spot and began to catch a few. We'd been there a couple hours and and I hooked a fish and not ten yards from me about a 5' shark with a head the size of a basketball hurled himself airbourne completely out of the water and when he hit the water my fish was gone. I reeled in and still had my jig and shrimp tail but must admit I was amped. Son-in-law remarked we should of had a video camera and I agreed. We fished another ten minutes with eyes peeled and started in and not 20 yards from the shoreline he was hit by a stingray through the top of his tennis shoe. Damn, what next? We get him taken care of and I turn off the blvd. on 21st and am greeted by police barricades, firetrucks, ambulances and sirens. I detour a few blocks and come up beside the apt. where across the street a house has fell on two men pinning them. I'm assuming they were leveling the house and it fell off the jacks or something. Think I'll stay home tomorrow and watch the history channel all day.

Did Robalo suggestion help your son in law?You got him some meds?Glad ya'll caught some fish but getting stuck sucks.
    I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

We pulled the barb out with some pliers and got some peroxide and benadryl from Valero Jam Beach. He went to Dr. and got tetnous shot and Lortabs. He said everything was fine just hope I can get him to fish again. No 7 on 7 football scouting for a few days. I wish I'd had Robalos or someones number in JB, it was touch and go there for a minute. Thanks Chris for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
        We pulled the barb out with some pliers and got some peroxide and benadryl from Valero Jam Beach. He went to Dr. and got tetnous shot and Lortabs. He said everything was fine just hope I can get him to fish again. No 7 on 7 football scouting for a few days. I wish I'd had Robalos or someones number in JB, it was touch and go there for a minute. Thanks Chris for your help.
        Only if me or Robalo can put a Romney sticker on your truck.J/K i will text it to you tomorrow glad to help.....I'm glad i changed my mind this morning and didn't go fishing that very will could have been me.I'm thinking about going in the morning but.........
        I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Rocky I didn't save the barb. I looked it over real good and all the little spikes along the edges were all there so he didn't have any still in his foot. Dr. said it was a clean removal.

Comment

My Dad and I used to catch stings growing up down in Freeport on occasion and he would sometimes cut the flaps off them and cook those things. If he didn't want them he would cut the barb out with a pocket knife. I remember asking him if that would make them harmless and he replied " No they'll just grow it back with another one." WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
              Rocky I didn't save the barb. I looked it over real good and all the little spikes along the edges were all there so he didn't have any still in his foot. Dr. said it was a clean removal.
              good job!!!!
              the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Holy crap Harv, interesting day, to say the least! Pretty tough dude to have a barb yanked out with a pair of pliers! Heard there were sharks in the bay, but there's no doubt now...kinda like the shark getting the fish out of the canal on an earlier post! Was there a brown stain in the water after you reeled in the tail? LOL! Glad you BIL is on the mend. Never got stuck by ray, but plenty of hardheads while I was a kid and while shrimping! It ain't no picnic on either one! Too bad you didn't save the barb. I know a guy who carried part of a barb around near his ankle for several months before he had to get it cut out! Anybody know a good brand of ray gaurds to buy? Thinking of buying some!

Comment

Thanks, Rocky, I'll check m out tomorrow.

Comment

Dang Harvey...you venture away from that rock and you have an eventful day! Glad the SIL is okay...look forward to seeing you soon at the spot!
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Wow Harvey! I'm glad your day didn't go any further south than it did.
                      "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Wow, sounds like a hell of a day. Glad you guys are ok.
                        Bryan Evans

Boat Werx of Texas
                        (AKA Evans Marine Services)
                        4340 19th St.
                        Bacliff, Texas 77518
                        http://evansmarine.net
                        http://boatwerxtx.com
                        main@boatwerxtx.com
                        281-559-BOAT (2628)

Comment

We had a big bull come out of the water while wading north shoreline Sunday morning, luckily it started lightning so it didn't look like I was chickening out when I ran for the boat.

Comment

geez what a day!!! I am at work M-F, Chris called and said your son got hit and needed help. I told him to tell you to go to the 61st Clinic- cheap and good-I personally know they are familiar with stingray barbs-a buddy of mine got hit 4 times by a 20# + ray from just below his knee down to his ankle-we put him in a hot bathtub, poured peroxide all over the wounds and took him to the clinic on 61st just south of the Valero by Hearn Lane. They xrayed it and gave him anti-biotics to stave off any infection.

Harvey, please watch for infection-that is the greatest danger-any redness, get him to doctor ASAP. I'm sorry I wasn't down to aid and am darn glad you got it out-most do not break off, they just stab ya and the poison gets in there along with lots of bacteria.

Rocky is correct-immediately immerse in as hot of water as you can tolerate-it breaks down the toxins and helps kill the pain. twice I have been around stings-both were back fishing later that day or the next and one of them was a top of foot sting but it hit bone and didn't penetrate real deep.

I would not make you put any GOP sticker on your vehicle (I might mark thru an Obama one though!).

Glad all is well-keep an eye on that wound-Vibrio can attack as well. Let us know how he's doing also and we have him in our prayers and are darn glad the shark didn't bite as well!!
                            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I thank everyone for the well wishes and advice. I tried to get him to go to 61st and Heards clinic as Robalo had recommended they deal with situations regarding marine type injuries all the time. He insisted he needed to make it to Leauge City something about his insurance being a school teacher. I failed to mention the doctor put him on some type anti-biotics as part of therapy. I'm glad he's tough as he had to hop 100 yards to the truck through the marsh mosquitoes and stagnent rain water everywhere. If I would have had to pack him out it would have taken a lot more adrenaline than I'd been able to muster. As far as politics go it's nice to know I have help from the other side of the aisle. I have never in over 40 years seen a shark do what that one did. Kinda glad he came up from behind and did that number or I probably would have soiled my wading pants. Thanks again and feel free to call on me for any help if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X